S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

On the topic of TIPtronic transmission upgrades and Torque Converters.

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2009, 02:29 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default do you ask because you're trying to make an informed decision or because you like to stir up ****

it's a glib question because everyone here already knows the answer.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

And where is this?
Old 01-12-2009, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default and how much do you think a clutch & pressure plate installed would be?

it's the same thing.

if you break out all the costs, the labor works out to be less than $400. that's for a tranny pull and reinstall. Good luck finding a shop that'll beat that.
Old 01-12-2009, 02:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default I just spent the better part of this afternoon reading some background...

Regarding the whole history here.... and all of it was one freakin post. But I think I get it now.
Old 01-12-2009, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

great work prince you guys are the best i now know where to get mine rebuilt
Old 01-12-2009, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Hey Prince... I don't want you to divulge the developments you guys have made...

But can you tell me (approximately) what the stall speed has become with your mods on your converter? Or give me some indication as to what it is? I'm not trying to get you to tell me trade secrets, but that's a big part of the reason we are spending money on TC rebuilds... or at least it should be. I know as a Stage 3 I need my stall speed changed fairly significantly.
Old 01-12-2009, 04:16 PM

Default Hey dont worry about it marc I dont own a s4 i ride my $25k fourwheeler around and in the winter i

drive my 30k snowmbile but i cannot afford any of this because every one here knows my life story and how much money me and my family have. because i took the oppertunity to try and get a free ride and twisted some words around to make a creditable reason to get choosen for a contest. but none the less my toys cost more then most of the s4's on this site, but no one believe's be because you need to have a million post, and know how to spell right to have any credit around here which quite frankly i dont care.
Old 01-12-2009, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default what can VAST offer in the way of the upgrading the clutch packs inside the transmission

my TC survived my overboosting k04 going 30+psi but my clutch packs are fried can you offer a real upgrade instead of all of these other company that say they have a high performance kit and all it is is an oem rebuild.

what can be done to strengthen the clutch packs

how would a non valve body modded line pressure help the rest of the transmission in holding? especially with these soft shifts we have

my transmission is fully rebuilt, im about to drop type f in there or try to fab up my own metal filter/strainer from the stock one to avoid pressure drop during high rpms.

jsut curious if you guys have a whole solution as i believe the TC alone is not enough to keep the entire transmission going under stage 3 and +
Old 01-12-2009, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default why not use a...

Manual boost controller to clip the 30+ psi spikes... I had this same issue until I installed MBC. I realize I'm running one of the "fancy" kits and probably shouldn't need one, but it's cheap insurance. N75 and programming alone are no match for a needle valve in the line to prevent it totally... unless I'm missing your point.
Old 01-12-2009, 07:57 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default no, you really don't need it changed "significantly" unless you're looking for a dragstrip-only car

around town driving starts sucking when the stall speed goes past 2600 or so.

go for a ride in someone's tip stg 3 with a stall of 3000. you'll never want to sit in that car ever ever again.

you can order chinese food, dealing with a language barrier, before the slip stops and the gear engages.

Quick Reply: On the topic of TIPtronic transmission upgrades and Torque Converters.