S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Is Toy Guy still missing? Anybody else making custom V1 remote displays and/or mute buttons?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2004, 02:34 PM
Rest In Peace

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default If you've had the arrows save you, you wouldn't think it was a gimmick.

NotCrapple is right - you need to understand the theory behind the implementation of the arrows to understand what they're telling you. If you didn't RTFM, then you probably think it's a gimmick.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I must have missed the reason you're being a dick.

BTW, what's you engineering degree in? I work in the signal processing industry for a living.
Old 09-17-2004, 02:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default They work to a point...

What I'm saying is the resolution of the arrows while in transition, for lack of better term on Friday, suck. It doesn't matter why or what the manual says, that's not the point.
That being said, you are left with front or back. If you don't know where the signal is coming from (front or back) by the change in signal strength (audible or visual), then I guess I could see why the arrows are valuable to the general population. It's not too difficult, mostly takes experience.
Either way, I'm happy, your happy, we're happy with our purchases. ; - )
Old 09-17-2004, 02:44 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Automute...It's not a total mute 8 - )
Old 09-17-2004, 03:06 PM

Default oh yeah, what about this...

your 8500 is going off, you pass by a cop. the signal falls off a bit, when BAM, you get nailed by a second cop half a mile down the road.

with a V1 there's no guessing. you pass by a cop, and if everything is clear further on, you can speed up. sure, it doesn't change from front to back INSTANTENEOUSLY, but it does within a second or two of passing the cop.

it's better than nothing - which is exactly what the 8500 offers.
Old 09-17-2004, 03:07 PM

where'd you buy your degree?
Old 09-17-2004, 03:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's called the ExpertMeter...

Where it shows you how many signals are in the area, what freq they are, and what their amp is. You really don't know what you're talking about, do you?

Why are you acting like such a child? Is civility not on the menu, or are you just lacking today?
Old 09-17-2004, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default >> v1 does have auto mute...so buy it

<ul><li><a href="http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp">http://www.valentine1.com/lab/MikesLabRpt3.asp</a</li></ul>
Old 09-17-2004, 04:02 PM

so you know how it works, yet you're still unable to use it?
Old 09-17-2004, 04:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I think he's just trying to say that the 8500 tracks multiple bogeys too, which it does.

I don't want to get in the middle of this because I think both the V1 and 8500 are good radar detectors. The arrows are a distinct advantage, and I've noted that. However, let's not overstate the multiple bogey feature because both have that. IMHO, the main advantages of each are:

V1: arrows and wider range of detection

8500X50: auto-mute and POP detection

When I say wider range of detection I do NOT mean sensitivity because I don't think there's been a systematic comparison between the V1 and the new X50 version of the 8500. The old 8500 was catching up to the V1 so I'd bet the X50 is closer still. But the V1 does have a WIDER range of detection, both towars the front and back, based on the C&amp;D test from a couple years ago. And the arrows for directionality speak for themselves.

As for the 8500X50, the auto-mute feature is beautiful. Say what you will about it, but it is NOT a full mute. It's just like the V1 where it has the high level volume and low level volume, except it does not require you to push a button. It sounds at the high level for a few beeps then automatically decreases, but keeps beeping at the low level until the bogey is gone. The X50 can also detect the new POP radar mode; while it's not a new band of radar, it's basically a super fast burst of radar that older detectors can't detect. It is not very widely used at the time, mostly because LE is not supposed to use it as ticketable evidence, but the number of radar guns with POP is growing and I think it does present an advantage over the V1 because Valentine is not going to be able to offer you a simple upgrade on that one, it would require new electronics inside the unit.

Anyway, I don't know why I went into all this, I was only trying to find out if someone was making the remote setups for the V1 and it seems LI-S4 has replied with a link so I need to go look at that.

Once more for good measure: the V1 and 8500X50 are both good detectors, let's not get into pissing matches over them. Let's hope someday all the features we like will be in one model!

Quick Reply: Is Toy Guy still missing? Anybody else making custom V1 remote displays and/or mute buttons?