S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Toy_Guy SS installed ... nice, but I HATE that circlip!

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2003, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Toy_Guy SS installed ... nice, but I HATE that circlip!

The install was relatively simple for a modding n00b like myself, except for that blasted circlip. Without the proper pliers, it took me a half-hour to get the stock clip off. Then, I dropped the E-clip into the dark recesses of the S4, never to be heard from again (hopefully). After one quick email to Craig (a BIG thanks for the quick response) a midnight run to Home Depot, and a little more cursing, and I was rowing happily down the street.

So far I really like the shifter, but I sometimes have trouble engaging 3rd gear and I get a bit of a "clunk" sound when shifting to 2nd or especially 4th sometimes... probably a maladjustment on my part.

And now for a new install tip: if installing a different 1/2" exterior circlip instead of the factory one, an easy way to install it in the cutout ring is to fit the clip onto the top of the shifter rod below the threads. Then, just slip a 12mm open-face wrench onto the rod above the circlip. Pull the wrench down the rod and compress the spring with the wrench. Voila! You've just installed a new circlip in about 3 seconds. Of course, getting the new circlip onto the rod without circlip pliers might be a little bit tricky ... but that's not my problem anymore!
Old 10-21-2003, 03:11 PM
ATH
Elder Member

Thanks god JoeyJoeJoJr was helping me, I don't think I would have gotten that done on my own
Old 10-21-2003, 03:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I used one of those wide (linesman) pliers to install the e-clip...

It has good clamping leverage, and teeth to hang onto small clips like that. The nose of the pliers also fits into tight spots better.

I need to adjust my SS a bit still. Have you noticed if when shifting from 1st-2nd gears, you feel it want to nudge over into reverse a little? Anyone?
Old 10-21-2003, 04:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default New style? If so, go with a little LESS right tilt. Mine did the same thing........

It felt like it was trying to go into the reverse gate. It also offset 1st gear (made it want to move to the right into the gate). My theory is that since the new style shifter has an offset on it already, it doesn't need as much right tilt as the old style. Anyone else have an idea?
Old 10-21-2003, 05:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Old style, but you describe what I'm experiencing exactly...

Thanks for the tip, I'll give it a try right now...
Old 10-21-2003, 06:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wow! I got it...

All I have to say is B-U-T-T-E-R.

I was actually off both ways with my settings. It was too far to the right and not far enough back. Took about 7-8 adjustments to get it right...but man, did I get it!

What a difference...so smooth now!
Old 10-21-2003, 07:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Great !!! How far back did you go? ..............................

Did you notice that the black base of the shifter is tilted towards the back, and is your backward adjustment perpendicular to the base, or is it leaning more or less back than perpendicular? TIA.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Not much, slightly tilted back. I think it would be hard to reference position...

...but it is certainly leaning back a little & to the right like it is supposed to.

Let me explain what I did...

What I ended up doing to find the sweet spot was little mini adjustments from the right back to the left, while going through the gears until all felt fairly smooth. This took about 30 gear changes between the bolt adjustments with the lower bolt only. Going too far back to the left made 5th & 6th gears real notchy, and too far to the right made that reverse-notchiness return with 1st to 2nd gear. Then I adjusted backwards in the same way. Bam! The gear changes are super smooth to engage and precise. It still takes a little force to engage, but nothing like oem, or if the TGS isn't adjusted right.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:51 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default That sounds like where I have mine. Just a little right to get rid of that weird 1st and 2nd offset,

and then back enough to be perpendicular with the base of the shifter. All done with the bottom bolt. I have the top bolt just forward of center. My 2nd and 3rd are still just a little bit notchy, but they were before the TGS. You have a 2001.5 and have an old style shifter? What is your build date? Mine is a 12/00 build, and has a new style shifter.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I totally agree, I have new style and right tilt doesnt do it for me (mine is pretty much vertical).

When I did have it tilted to the right, it wouldnt go into second at all

Quick Reply: Toy_Guy SS installed ... nice, but I HATE that circlip!