S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Tracksports are "bouncy". Would this be related to the dampeners, the springs, both, or neither?

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2005, 12:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tracksports are "bouncy". Would this be related to the dampeners, the springs, both, or neither?

well, after putting about 1k miles on my Stasis Tracksports (enough for me to figure they are settled in), I'm a little disappointed with their bounciness. For example, going over a bump which would have caused the car to bounce maybe once or twice when stock will now cause it bounce four, five, or maybe more times now. I've had a couple instances on the highway when I literally had to quickly apply the brakes because I thought the bouncing was going to cause me to loose control of the car.

So my question is: To fix this, would I need to adjust the dampeners, change the springs (I am running 650f/750r now), neither, or both?

Also, if this is not a common problem, please keep in mind that I was given Eibach springs instead of the Hyperco's advertised since they had a backorder on the Hyperco's. Could this be a factor? Anyone else with the Eibachs (or the Hyperco's for that matter) have the same problem?

Thanks in advance for your help.

P.s. Maybe I should also add that I have the car set at 26" in the rear and 25.75 in the front... somewhat conservative I know, but I wanted to make sure I was high enough for the New England snow this winter.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:59 PM
Rest In Peace

Default Sounds like porpoising. What are your damping settings?

I had to go pretty soft on my 700/800 Motorsports to combat that on the street. My first thought was to go stiffer, but that didn't fix it. Ryan helped me with the settings - maybe seek him out.
Old 10-22-2005, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Springs are overpowering the dampers. It is the relationship between the two.
Old 10-22-2005, 02:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I've found a lower spring rate(I'm running 550/650)

helps with the rear damping on full and the fronts almost full. The shocks are not up to the task with higher spring rates.

I like mine now and it only has a very small amount of porposing.
Old 10-22-2005, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My and few others opinion is that

the shocks are not properly (not enough rebound for street use) valved for the springs. They will be fine with lower spring rates - 600 lbs or so.

If you must run the higher rates - get Penskes or Ohlins. (Of course I am partial to Penskes.)
Old 10-22-2005, 03:56 PM

My settings are the ones they came with since the instructions specifically say not to adjust them.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:08 PM
NO.BRAZIL (barf)

Default You don't need to lower the spring rate to fix the ride quality.

The springs have less to do with the ride than the dampers. That's why Stasis Motorsports are twice as much as tracksports and come with the exact same springs.

Don't change your springs. I ride 700/800 and am perfectly fine with the ride. It does not porpouse at all and the bounciness is minimal.

I think my settings are somewhere between 1.75-2 turns from full soft in the front and 4-5 sweeps from full soft in the rear. Try that.
Old 10-22-2005, 04:59 PM

Default my setup is similar...

except i have 600/700 springs. the TrackSport dampers come from Stasis about 4 sweeps from the left (out of 10). perhaps try going up a couple of sweeps. i know those guys generally try and optimize the setup for 600/700, so perhaps your 650/750 is a little higher than they send the damners out with.

as Tomasz stated, once you start getting into really higher spring rates, you need to shell out the big bucks for the Ohlins, Penskes or whatever. i had 800/1000 springs on my TrackSports and it was just too much. however riding in Bauers car with 1000/1200 or whatever he had was very nice. of course he had the MotorSport Ohlins in there.
Old 10-22-2005, 06:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Was that your opinion when I bought a set from you? I feel I should have been informed of that.

The set you sold me had 700/800. You made NO mention of what you are saying now.

I still like them(especialy with the lower rates), I just think that IF you knew what you know now then, that it was un-ethical to sell them with out informing the customer(me).
Old 10-22-2005, 06:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I mostly agree, but for me(+40) and a daily driver I like the lower rates :-)

It still is plenty firm and corners very flat.

Quick Reply: Tracksports are "bouncy". Would this be related to the dampeners, the springs, both, or neither?