S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Tranny woes

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2001, 02:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tranny woes

My gear box went funny about a month ago. I missed a shift and gears one through three bacame very difficult to engage. The probelm sorted itself out after a few weeks and the gear box almost felt normal again. Yesterday I missed another shift and the problem flared again. I can bearely shift into thrid without great effort. Any ideas? I searched the forums when I first had the problem and found out information about a clip inside the gearbox that can sometimes break and was redesigned, is this my problem or it something worse. The car goes into service the 28 of this month.
Old 09-08-2001, 03:23 PM
dpd

Default Re: Tranny woes

sounds like you waffled the 3/4 syncronizer.fix,overhaul the trans
Old 09-08-2001, 03:46 PM

Does clutchless shifting from 3 to 4 waffle the 3/4 syncro???
Old 09-08-2001, 03:54 PM
dpd

Default Re: Does clutchless shifting from 3 to 4 waffle the 3/4 syncro???

bigtime!not only will it waffle 3/4,it will do it to the other gears.trans gears not designed for clutchless shifting.to shift clutchless you need straight cut gears.yours are not.safe to assume you waffled.note;dealers aware of syncro destruction
Old 09-08-2001, 05:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Whoa! same exact thing happened here, 1st and 2nd, will be opened in 2 weeks

It got better on its own too, seems to be heat related, damn, should have gotten a tip....

I would guess it's the synchros, not for anything they have been revised...what 3 times now?
Old 09-08-2001, 05:24 PM

Default What??? You mean you didn't use the clutch?

In my case my 1-2 shift has been problematic since new.
Old 09-08-2001, 05:29 PM
dpd

Default Re: Whoa! same exact thing happened here, 1st and 2nd, will be opened in 2 weeks

it's from trying to spin the wheels while the brakes are applied.when you guys are trying to light them up.edl is applying,edl is part of abs and works by applying the brakes to the wheels that are sinning to help gain tracvtion,thus bogging the motor dowm and trying to bang 2/3/4th gears.it ends up gernading the gears and synchros.and giving us fits when rebuilding them
Old 09-08-2001, 05:36 PM

probably no worse than if you beat it with a sledge hammer ...
Old 09-08-2001, 09:57 PM

Default That would do it

however...I have never or will never try to abuse my car like that, from the first time I slipped the clutch and it didn't keep up with the engine I knew to better be careful with this tranny.

I never had a problem with that, my one grief, like others, is the old trannies that would wear the 2nd gear synchro prematurely and would grind in higher rpm shifts.

It's a know issue and should like that be honored and my *** kissed knowing their little dirty secrets, instead of me saying:

'Yeah, Audi was great even when they screwed up, they set me up with a nice TT as loaner and they had my car fixed right, the first time in only 4 days!, I hope something else breaks soon and they get a better part for it, their service is great!'

You can imagine what I will be saying instead: The truth!

It's just too bad, I could have loved this car.

Btw. tell us about the redesigns, you seem to know what's going on for a change .
Old 09-09-2001, 11:37 AM

Default Or maybe it's due to the fact that you drive like an idiot, or just can't drive a manual...after all

your last car was an automatic, pos Buick Regal. A bit rusty on the shifting, perhaps?
Or, maybe it's the short shifter you stuck on there. Not a good idea to **** with the linkage on a transmission where the owners' manual warns you not even to rest your hand on the shifter while driving...

Which brings up another point: as stupid as you've proven yourself to be on numerous occasions, you probably didn't even rtfm...

Quick Reply: Tranny woes