S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Turbo "whirrrrring" noise: Do you have it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2000, 04:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbo "whirrrrring" noise: Do you have it?

My car has a distinct whirring noise from the RH turbo between 1800-2400 rpm under very light throttle (just enough to get the turbo spooled). It's most obvious in 1st or 2nd gear otherwise road noise masks it. If I drive in 2nd at around 2000 and load the engine with the emergency brake to keep the enging RPM constant I can modulate the sound with the throttle. "whirrrrrrrrrr" It's not the "swisssssss" noise; it's a lower frequency.

I stopped at the dealer during lunch yesterday. The service manager and an engine technician both listened to the noise and pronounce it normal commenting that some cars make that noise "right off the truck".

How many of you have this noise? I halfway believe the dealer... just trying to confirm that this is not a turbo bearing or something going south. The car-nut in me likes the noise, the pessimist inside is concerned.
Old 03-01-2000, 04:13 AM

Btw, LCPs car does not make the noise
Old 03-01-2000, 04:21 AM

Default Re: Turbo "whirrrrring" noise: Do you have it?

i have a noise sounds like a whir also, but it seems to come from the water pump(put a long screwdriver on the pump and listened), talked to the dealer as soon as i bring it up they will check it and replace if neccesary!!!BTW its louder on startup and seems to quiet down a bit when the engine heats up!!!
Old 03-01-2000, 04:44 AM

Default I cannot hear my turbos at all. I did notice them spinning up in Warren ****'s car.

Sounded "normal" to me, though.
Old 03-01-2000, 05:00 AM

Have exactly the same noise since a week. Will let you know what dealer says
Old 03-01-2000, 05:32 AM

Default Re: Turbo "whirrrrring" noise: Do you have it?

Yes, I can hear that noise and modulate it exactly like you described. I think it sounds quite bad-***!

I just thought it was the sound of healthy turbochargers, and haven't really been concerned by it. The other S4's I've driven have all made the same sounds, chipped and non-chipped.

-Craig
'00 S4 and loving that "whhhiiiirrr"
Old 03-01-2000, 05:39 AM

Excellent. I like the sound too... as long as it's a healthy noise. : ) Thanks.
Old 03-01-2000, 08:48 AM

Default Noticed after installation of K&N air filter

I have noticed the same sound in approx the same ranges as listed above. The sound I hear is a fairly high pitch sound almost as high as a siren. In fact when I first heard it I thought there was a fire truck or the like approaching. The sound I hear is not loud, but it is faitly noticable even if I have the radio on. I do not hear the sound on full throttle or while cruising. Only during parial applications of the throttle during the above rpms.
Old 03-01-2000, 09:48 AM
Elder Member

Default yes (A6 2.7T)

I have it too. Very quiet, kind of like a little chirr-rr-rr-rr-up. It didn't start until I had about 1500 miles, I have 2000 more since then and it isn't getting any worse.

Its not quite pleasant, but not disturbing.

Given the speed of turbos and how they work, I can't see how you can completely avoid some kind of resonance/interference noise between the valve "puffs" and the passing of the exhaust vanes.
Old 03-01-2000, 11:59 AM

Default Re: No, Only Can Hear Growl of the V6

Everyone else comments on the hissing and whooshing of the turbos, but I honestly can't hear anything but the revs of the V6 with the windows up or down, revving at a standstill or at road speeds.

Quick Reply: Turbo "whirrrrring" noise: Do you have it?