S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Turbos morphing into dentist drills. Questions for those who have been down this road.

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2005, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Turbos morphing into dentist drills. Questions for those who have been down this road.

My car has 80K on it now and I am CPO.
I noticed a few months ago that when cold, I could hear the normal turbo hiss, then I started to hear the drill. I had never heard this before, even when cold, and my UrS4 never hinted at wanting to be a dentist cold or hot. As the oil got warmer, the drill would go away. Now I know someone is going to say, let the car warm up befor getting on it. Which I do, but there is still boost being created even at low temps, I don't do WOT until I see the oil temp needle move.
Now even with the oil warm, I am hearing the drill ever so slight and when cold a consistant drill.
My CPO expires in December and am wondering how long it took others after the drill started before they failed?
What does it take before CPO will cover them, complete failure or loud drilling?

TIA
Old 07-13-2005, 11:47 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Take it into the dealer and tell them what you told us. If they are nice...

they will replace the turbos. My dealer replaced mine when I had the dentist drill. The worst that could happen is that they would say "it's within spec."
Old 07-13-2005, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I wouldn't give much merit to sounds when cold. The dentist drill...

sound is when going WOT fully warmed up and it stuck with me for almost one year before a turbo blew.
Old 07-13-2005, 11:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Re: Turbos morphing into dentist drills. Questions for those who have been down this road.

(Just my opinion)
DO NOT waste time. Put your car back to Sock and clear the ECU (if you are not stock already) drive it for a week or so. Then make an appointment at the dealer. Make sue they hear the sound several times. Explain to them that this should be covered under CPO warranty that you have. DO NOT take  eNO†for an answer. (I am in the same situation) Then the dealer will do some checking and such. Finally they will have you sign a letter saying that you have done no modification to the engine. Then AOA will *consider* changing your turbos. Keep on it, do not give up and finally CALL EVERY day and get EVERY ones name that you talk to.

Good luck
Edy
Old 07-13-2005, 12:56 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's worth a shot but totally up to the dealer. They can totally come back...

at you and say the sound is within manufacturer's spec. Unless the car doesn't build boost there's little leverage that you have.
Old 07-13-2005, 01:58 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I would never let the dealer get away with this.

I didn't pay $27K to have a car that makes a siren noise and scares off people driving or standing around. Let alone one with a CPO warranty.

And yes, I have had the dealer change parts on my car until they got it right. (18 parts so far.)