S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Tweaked my rear rebound settings on my Stasis c/o's some more last night...

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2003, 07:47 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tweaked my rear rebound settings on my Stasis c/o's some more last night...

After softening my rear rebound by 2.5 sweeps, my rear end had settled down some and had stopped launching hard off of bumps and rises, but I thought there was still some more room to go, so I went ahead and took it much softer. I went down to 1 sweep from full soft just to see how that felt. Well, the rear end sure didn't launch, but it porpoised (rocked back and forth) like a land yacht -- as bad as any old Cadillac with worn out shocks. So there is such a thing as too soft. I turned it a little firmer, and settled upon 3 sweeps from full soft. The rear end still seems very well behaved, but I still have some porpoising (rocking back and forth) around 30mph on concrete roads -- it's not really noticeable on asphault roads at those speeds nor is it noticeable at higher speeds. I wonder if tweaking my front rebound would help this at all? Since it seems softer rear rebound keeps the rear end from launching off of bumps so badly, but also increases porpoising, it seems some changes to the front are in order to get me happy.
Old 04-22-2003, 07:52 AM
Maestro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default you may want to try stock rear sway bar to get rid of bounce in the rear

worked with my MTM suspension. With 19mm rear bar, the back would bounce a bit after bumps
Old 04-22-2003, 07:54 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default I just can't imagine that helping since the bumps usually affect both rear wheels simultaneously...

...but it's down there on my list of things to try, moreso because of the high-speed oversteer issue I have.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:06 AM
TRM
AudiWorld Super User

Default if i understand correctly from RKA...front & rear adjustments are

dependent on each other, i.e., they effect one another - not independent. so yes, tweaking the fronts might help behavior of the tail.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:07 AM

Default normally porpoising means...

that the front end alone picks a up a high speed chatter and is uncontrollable.

If you are talking about a rocking motion front to rear you may settle that down in a few ways...

a sway bar change WONT help, that is only changing roll stiffness (transition roll and speed)

Possibly tweaking the "rake" in the car, or how much higher or lower the front is than the rear. I would run atleast .5-.75 inches of rake, this will keep the weight on the front end, you may be too flat.

You also have to consider when driving the car will squat in the rear.

Your front damping and rear damping may just be too far off of each other, with for instance the rear rebounding quickly, and the front slowly, and not allowing smooth weight transfer.

If you have some questions shoot me an email.

Chad B<ul><li><a href="http://chadblock.com">http://chadblock.com</a</li></ul>
Old 04-22-2003, 08:13 AM
Maestro

Default sway bar limits suspension independence

when I switched over to stock rear sway bar from 19mm Neuspeed, the bounce was gone from the rear. Nothing else was done to the suspension. This is with MTM full suspension

With a stiff swaybar, when one wheel is on even surface and the other hits a bump, both springs are forced to compress/rebound
Old 04-22-2003, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 46 Posts
Default Wife making you sleep in the garage with the car after the STaSIS purchase?

So now you have plenty of time and easy access to making suspension adjustments. :-P

BTW ... what did she get for *her* $1,900 "offset" purchase?
Old 04-22-2003, 08:18 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default I did mean to refer to a rocking motion front to rear...

...if anything on rake, I'm going to put the rears a couple tenths of an inch lower than the fronts to try and sort out my higher speed steady state cornering and decelerating oversteer tendancy. FWIW, when stock, my car's rear suspension sat at least a quarter inch, and probably more like a half inch, lower than my front suspension did. So I don't want to alter rake much from its natural position.
Old 04-22-2003, 08:21 AM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Default Ah, here's the beauty of it...

...since my stock suspension was worn out (it really was), the Stasis suspension was a repair/maintenance item, not a true modification, even if it is a modification.

Besides, when my wife brings home a paycheck equal to mine then she can start making true offset purchases! =P
Old 04-22-2003, 08:22 AM

Default right...

but it will not limit overall rebounding or compression of the suspension at one end as a whole....

if the rear is releasing weight from the rear end equally, side to side, it will not change with the addition of a stiffer bar.<ul><li><a href="http://www.ChadBlock.com">http://www.ChadBlock.com</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Tweaked my rear rebound settings on my Stasis c/o's some more last night...