S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

V1 concealed display

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2000, 10:07 AM
leslie

Default V1 concealed display

Hi all,

I just hard wire installed the V1, yay!--no more pulling it in and out. I also hooked the concealed display unit in, and put it under the left side air vent (left of the steering wheel). Someone had suggested that location here, seemed like a good idea...Unfortunately, my hand (near 9 o'clock) and the way I lean in my seat, almost always blocks this. I'm looking for other suggestions where to mount it?

I'm not interested in putting it in the cup holder spot. Has anyone mounted it in front of the display, i.e.: straight through the steering wheel? I don't have the nav. system, it doesn't appear that this would block any of the display info.

Almost debating the need for the concealed display at all, anyone agree/disagree? Have the lg. unit mounted to the right of my rear view mirror. Pretty convenient to see there.

TIA,
leslie '00 Silver/Onyx
Old 01-31-2000, 11:26 AM
MarkFank

Default Re: V1 concealed display

I tried mine to the left and had the same problem with my arm blocking the unit. I then mounted it on the center on the dash and it didn't really block any readouts and it was easy to see but it made it very inconvenient to turn/adjust any of the dials. I ended up mounting it just above the fog light switches and I really like it there. I ran the wire from the fuse box area (where I put the splitting box)under the dash and up the console just to the right of the steering wheel. Only a little of the wire is exposed and it looks pretty good. I like the concealed unit so no one behind me can see it (especially cops). I did have it on my visor and could see it fine there but then lost use of my visor. Now the wife has to suffer when she is in the car and wants to use the visor. The dislpay unit looks cool at night because the red is the same as the dash lights. Good luck!
Old 01-31-2000, 11:28 AM
RAudiS4

Default Re: V1 concealed display

I love the concealed display, however I'm not **** about having everything in the int look OEM, so I just put it on the little shelf above the CD player. I too would like it in the middle of my gauges, but it will block the lower part of the computer display. I have an Tip and this is where my gear selection shows up. Don't know what's down there on a 6spd-if anything.

Anybody else mounted it on the top of the steering column?

-mike
Old 01-31-2000, 11:53 AM
leslie

Default We don't have that display on manuals.

Although, I would find it handy, sometimes I forget, and look or feel where it is.

Not sure about this location, will see. Are you able to conceal the wires going across it tidy/ non-visable fashion? If so, how?

thanks,
leslie
Old 01-31-2000, 11:59 AM
leslie

Default thanks

I'll check this one out too. Yeah, I'm glad the display is in red too. I'm probably a bit **** about matching things (clothes...).
Old 01-31-2000, 12:16 PM
S4Grl

I hardwired mine today too, just like mike did! I saved myself from 3 tickets in an hour!
Old 01-31-2000, 01:20 PM
S4Girl

Hey! Who are all these "S4Grl" people?
Old 01-31-2000, 01:24 PM
RAudiS4

You go grl!!
Old 01-31-2000, 01:27 PM
RAusdiS4

Default I go under the dash...

From the fuse box under the dash to the center console. Pop up thru the seam between the center console and the drivers side. If this isn't clear, it will be when you getn in your car.

So, the bottom third of your trip computer has no output?

-mike
Old 01-31-2000, 01:31 PM
MarkFank

Default I have the same matching problem....

I grew up during the "Garanimals phase" so I blame that for my **** tendancies. I really just dated myself. That also explains why I ended up in the exciting world of accounting!!!

I also see they deleted my Robin Leach comment! Damn censors!

Quick Reply: V1 concealed display