S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Vag-com/obd2?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2009, 06:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vag-com/obd2?!?!?!

So i just bought my first audi, 01 b5 s4. Everyones talking about this Vag-com system, which im assuming is a diagnostic tool, but what so good about it? I haven't hooked my car up to my obd2 scan tool yet, assuming it will work...
Old 09-27-2009, 07:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

VAG-COM is an Audi/VW specific diagnostic tool. It will show you things about your Audi, that a generic OBD-II will not show you (manufacturer specific things). You can log engine parameters, change car settings, etc.. It is a neccesity with a car like the B5 S4. Get a real VAG-COM (VCDS), do not try to do the same thing with a generic OBD-II tool.

Bruce
Old 09-27-2009, 07:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

It is just the cat's meow when it comes to Audi's. You don't need to look up the codes, and it has some logging features as well.

It can also access all the control modules. Otherwise your just looking that the ECU codes.
Old 09-28-2009, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rwester19
... I haven't hooked my car up to my obd2 scan tool yet, assuming it will work...
Hey RWester

The VAG-COM (new name VCDS) is a dignostic tool specifically made for VAG vehicles. Most other cables (cheap and expensive) can read your codes, reset them, some can log data etc, but very few of them can compare. The VAG dealerships use a 1552 (or something like that) scan tool and basically the VAG-COM can do everything the dealership tool does (or almost everything, besides programming the ecu etc).

It is not a cheap tool, but it will allow you to program vehicle specific features, obviously read/reset codes, log data etc etc. The latest version of the software that you get with the cable can also read some generic codes from other vehicles so it is handy for that to.

Now, there are some eBay versions out there for around $30 or so, but... These do not support the latest version of the software. The other trouble is that they also do not support the CAN bus, so if you wanted to help out a friend with a new VW or Audi you would not be able to reach many of the control modules in the newer car. The eBay versions uses the trial version of VAG-COM (v4 or v6 not sure), and to register it will cost you around $100. Keep in mind this is not the latst version even if it's registered so there are many features missing etc.

IMHO, it was an expensive tool purchase for me, but it paid for itself before I knew it. If I ever get rid of my VAG vehicles (which is unlikely..lol) I know I can sell this unit and get almost all my money back, as the genuine cable can be installed on any PC and will work for the new owner right out of the box.

FYI, the other "tool" that goes hand in hand with the VCDS is the Bentley manual with those two you are all set. Best deals on that can still be found here: http://www.bimmerzone.com

Hope the "essay" helps.. lol

Cheers
Massboykie

P.S. No I don't work for them... I just like to plug a good product when I can.
Old 09-28-2009, 09:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the great explanation! I'm definitely going to look into buying it. when i bought my scan tool, around 450 bucks it payed for it self in a month, because of all the cars i work on. I know my scan tool doesnt do abs system tho...

Will the Vag-com read audi abs systems/ traction control lights? I've been hearing stories about the quattro being a nightmare from one of my euro mechanic friends.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:19 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you buy the cable you need I can burn you a copy and send you a cd for free.
Old 09-28-2009, 01:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

You can download the software from Ross-Tech's website, the cable doubles as their license protection system.

The VCOM does read ABS and ESC faults and codes and can clear them.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Never used one before... are they easy to use? Some of the screen shots looked a little intimidating.
Old 09-29-2009, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by S4 Heli
Never used one before... are they easy to use? Some of the screen shots looked a little intimidating.
Jump on too their website & check it out. 88 page manual..have fun!
Old 08-25-2012, 02:28 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default RE:Vag-com/obd2?!?!?!

Originally Posted by rwester19
So i just bought my first audi, 01 b5 s4. Everyones talking about this Vag-com system, which im assuming is a diagnostic tool, but what so good about it? I haven't hooked my car up to my obd2 scan tool yet, assuming it will work...
VAG-COM is "VAG-COM Diagnostic System" primarily used for diagnostics and adjustments of Volkswagen Group motor vehicles, including Volkswagen Passenger Cars, Audi, SEAT, and Škoda automobiles,[4] along with Volkswagen Commercial Vehicles.
VAGCOM in the end can you do?
A real-time understanding of the state of your car.
Engine operating speed throttle opening the battery voltage of the fuel injection quantity
2. Failure query
When a situation occurs when your car, you can use VAGCOM testing you, to see in the end is where the problem is, be aware of the service station, small problems can also exclude themselves
3 personalization
Comfort system upgrade maintenance reminder lights set maximum to meet your DIY mood.
If you're strong enough practical ability can wash your own throttle own match key
To know the wash in the pits the throttle working hours costs 100 yuan (only 10 minutes) to match the the keys working hours costs 200 yuan (It only takes 1 minute)
If you still can't see,please visit the explanation:
Voiture Diagnostic Outil