S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

very slow oil leak when car is parked for a few days, think it may be the oil return line...

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2008, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default very slow oil leak when car is parked for a few days, think it may be the oil return line...

i got under the car and it really looks like the oil line that goes to the oil pan on passenger side (return?).

how likely a culprit is this for leaks and is there another culprit which would give the appearance that the line is leaking (something directly above which would leak down)?

is this just an O-ring swap or does it sound like something more major?

tia.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:36 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default My oil return line leaked and I replaced the o-ring. Really easy to do you just need to drop the

front sway bar and drain the oil. Make sure it isn't coming from somewhere above first. Leaky valve covers can make it look like the return line is leaking.
Old 12-30-2008, 10:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

joe, did you buy an s4?
Old 12-30-2008, 12:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thx for the reply, how'd you know it was the return line and not

the valve cover as you mention? would i want to look from above the engine or below to determine?

thanks.
Old 12-30-2008, 12:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default yessir,

brilliant black just like the A4

she has some goodies, but i'm still trying to work out a few things. but, because money's been real tight lately i haven't been able to focus on her.

as I type i'm actually in the middle of doing the snub mount right now, it's been a while since i've had a b5 this dismantled.

how's things going up there? miss the sunny weather yet?
Old 12-30-2008, 04:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Could be cam seals, valve cover gaskets, or cam tensioner gaskets also...

How many miles on the car?
Old 12-30-2008, 05:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Remove belly plastic pan and look with a flashlight along the oil return line...

I have the same problem on the same o-ring of the same oil return line. THe sipping is extremely slow and the oil is collected on the belly pan.

When I shine the flashlight on the line I can see that the dampness stops just as the line curves upwards. So the sipping comes from the lower end, it is not dripping from anywhere high up on to the metal hose.

It takes changing the oil to get it fixed, as you will have to drain the whole engine of oil to replace it. It is easy, only needs to have the anti-sway bar unmounted and turned downward. I will do that next time I am due for an oil change.
Old 12-30-2008, 06:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default thank you sir,

i pretty much narrowed it to that line, i wiped all the oil clean and went back and looked about an hour later and the oil began to weep out the bottom of where the line connects. i'm about halfway to my next oil change, I'm going to wait also.

have you already sourced the o-ring?
Old 12-30-2008, 06:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ...

130k. not sure if/when those have been serviced.
Old 12-30-2008, 07:31 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Anytime. I have not found the part yet. I will do it in 3-4k miles or so!

I will have to boot another machine, start up virtual box and bring up Windows so that I can look it up in the ETOS/ETKA... Not worth the effort tonight man! I will email you when I know the part number. Expect it to be cheap, but you will have to crawl under the car to get that sway bar off if you DIY.

Quick Reply: very slow oil leak when car is parked for a few days, think it may be the oil return line...