S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

VW continues to compete with Audi.

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2002, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Autoextremist is the best! They are on record as saying that the Cayenne will force Porsche to

merge or be bought out by someone else. They said that it was the wrong vehicle at the wrong time in the wrong place and it will be the downfall of Porsche. I hope it doesn't happen; but I think it is STUPID AS HELL.

My wife owns a VW Passat, and while it is a great car - it helped convince me to buy my S4 - VW customer service stinks. I can't imagine anyone spending that kind of $ and putting up with the treatment one gets at those dealerships. Just like I can't imagine waiting in line at the Chevy dealership with a Corvette behind someone with a Chevette and getting the same "royal" treatment. Audi treats me great - maybe some don't think its worth the extra $, but it sure is nice!!! Perception counts for a lot at this price point, no matter how good the product is. Just look at the overpriced Camry's that Lexus used to sell...
Old 03-12-2002, 09:14 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I have the opposite experience. My VW dealership is great, yet the Audi ones have been sucky

I guess it's a dealer by dealer thing.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:22 AM
Elder Member

Default Nice car....needs a new badge to sell in this market...pure marketing stupidity by VW.

Its not like people don't KNOW ACURAS ARE HONDAS etc...so why not launch a new name at least?! or call it an audi? makes no sense for VW and threatens audi's marketplace....
Old 03-12-2002, 09:31 AM

Default Somehow the idea of luxury and class is...

sort of oxymoronic with a company called: "People's car".

They could learn something about branding.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what MB over $120K and what BMW over $80k in the states??? (SL600 and loaded 745i were the tops)
Old 03-12-2002, 09:37 AM

z8
Old 03-12-2002, 09:39 AM

Default What is it about change, innovation, & evolution that provokes such pessimism?

I like editorials that take a strong stance. Is it possible that VW has stronger brand awareness? If so, leveraging it through broadened product offerings is a prudent initiative. He whines on about Audi dealers investing so much and now are betrayed. Business is not about making nice nice. It is about maximizing stakeholder value through long range planning. There is a significant role for Audi in Piech's scheme, so why the paranoia?
Old 03-12-2002, 09:40 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default Huh? You couldn't buy the brand integrity and image that the letters "VW" has to offer

When Honda Launched Acura, people didn't know it was a Honda. Same thing with Lexus and Infiniti. I'm talking about the average folk, not your gear heads.

To this day, a lot of folks don't know that Lexus is Toyota. Maybe inside, they don't want to know.

I've had a lot of friends that associate Audis with words like "expensive", and VW with words like "reasonable". And VW's line is basically the Passat, Golf, Jetta, Beetle and to a much lesser extent Eurovan. So they feel like they need one other larger car. I think that's reasonable for them to want.

Besides, if they want to go smaller, they can always bring over the Lupo.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Default There is nothing that says a company has to stay within it's initial offering...

And I would argue that the Phaeton is a people's car, especially if they offer a luxury car at a price point where you don't have to rob a bank.

So, VW is in fact staying true to "people's car". I think they meant that people had access to affordable cars.
Old 03-12-2002, 09:46 AM
AudiWorld Expert

and the upcoming SL55 isn't going to be cheap by any measuring stick.

Quick Reply: VW continues to compete with Audi.