S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

WA LASER SPEED TRAP ALERT

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2002, 07:10 AM
mm
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default WA LASER SPEED TRAP ALERT

Saw something "new" this weekend that I thought my Washington State compatriots should be aware of, Washington State Patrol using LASER to set up speed traps along freeways and highways.

Cresting the hill into Issaquah yesterday on I-90 East, the V1 went nutz with a Laser alert. A WSP car was parked in the median (turn around) at the base of the hill targeting cars as they crested the top of the hill. I was doing about 70 mph (60 mph speed zone) in the HOV lane along with most of the other traffic, but got on the brakes pretty quick and was able to cruise on past without arousing his attention too much. Not sure if he just didn't get a good reading or if he was hoping for someone going faster. Also not sure if I was the car being targeted as there was traffic slightly ahead of me in other lanes.

Just an FYI since this is the first time I have encountered a laser speed trap in Washington State.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:31 AM

Default Not new - they have been doing this in Clark county on I-205

for several months now. They also are doing this from their unmarked vehicles - they have black Crown Victorias and a black Suburban down here that have no markings whatever and tinted windows. The lights are all hidden behind grillwork and the tinted windows.

The only time you can spot the lights is when they are on. No state license plates either. I have never picked up rader signal from these critters - only laser.
Old 01-21-2002, 07:32 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default The WSP frequently "work" that area with cars/motorcycles at the "bottom" of east-bound I-90

as you approach Issaquah as well as the west-bound folk, but then I've seen them on the "uphill" portion of I-90 as you go up/out of Issaquah where laser is being used.

I got a short, weak Ka "hit" the other week as I approached Issaquah in exactly the same location you mention, but before I was "visable" to their radar. I know they like to sit there so I checked my speed as I figgured it was a "bounce" off cars ahead. Sho' nuff, there they were and they pulled out after a car in front of me...but my V1 showed absolutely nothing! I can only quess that they were occasionally "shooting" cars to judge the speed and going after those that appeared to them to be going faster!

The WSP uses this stretch of I-90 from Issaquah to the Summit as a training-ground for their rookies so they are frequently there in numbers.

BEWARE!

HTH
Old 01-21-2002, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

my roommate got busted by laser in CT yesterday in his Santorin A4 1.8T Quattro Tiptronic /MA plates
Old 01-21-2002, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default any other V1 owners get false laser alerts with those amber information signs?

I don't know what other states have them, but in North NJ we have these large signs overhead every so often that posts traffic or emergency info. EVERYTIME I past one, the laser on the V1 goes nots.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:50 AM

Default They finally got me!

I was ticketed in this exact spot the other night. Driving the A6 and using the 8500...never got an alert. I was the only car on the road at 11:30pm.
I've seen numerous other laser traps around Western WA but always received alerts. In those cases I probably benefitted from other traffic around and the lower mounting of the 8500 in a 911.
If you are alone on the road, you're a "sitting duck" for laser.
Old 01-21-2002, 08:51 AM
Banned

No, but some red neon signs and some brake lights trip my V1!
Old 01-21-2002, 09:10 AM

Default Aha that's it

I recently started a thread about V1 false laser positives...I got 3 on I-80 through NJ. That must be what it was. There are a lot of other false laser bogeys people were saying like airport frequencies or bright brake lights.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:12 AM

Default Samething I-5 northbound below 145th Street overpass...

Last Sunday, around 9:00AM, doing 80+ taking my son to baseball clinic. Passport 8500 gave me about 1/3 mile notice (LASER warning scared the sh$% out of me).

They tend to hide back under the overpass in the shadows on the right side of the freeway and try to catch people "cruising" down the long hill next to Jackson Golf Course.

I'm now trained to check that area out as soon as I come over the hill.
Old 01-21-2002, 09:40 AM

New SUV and truck brake lights are pretty high up and sometimes trip mine.

Quick Reply: WA LASER SPEED TRAP ALERT