S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

WARRANTY DENIED BECAUSE OF CAT-BACK??? Someone please help

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2002, 08:56 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Sure, just call 724-284-1424 so they can tell you that no emissions inspection is required in Butler

PA. It's the driver licensing center. I'm not a liar, so don't call me one.

-st
Old 06-19-2002, 09:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Yes, I did. And why is it so difficult for you to understand that:

"absence of testing" does NOT equal "absence of law"??

I don't get drug tested, but does that mean there are no laws against taking drugs? Duh....this is soooo obvious, and yet you simply cannot grasp it.

Oh, wait, I forgot who I'm arguing with: the same guy who claims that the statement "tampering with emissions equipment is against federal law" is the same as saying "installing catback exhausts is a crime". Yeah, now it makes sense...you're dyslexic, right?

Also, since when do clerks at drivers license bureaus become experts on emissions laws, which are handled by a totally different bureau?

Weak, weak, weak....you'll have to do better than Mrs. Butterworth or whoever to prove your point.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Backpedal all you want. There are cars in this county that would not pass emissions inspection

anywhere. They're here because they are not in violation of any laws in this county.

-st
Old 06-19-2002, 09:16 AM
Elder Member

Default A number of things...

Use of exhaust components not CARB-approved, for one. (MA and CA emissions laws are almost identical, and CARB approval is enough to get by here... none of the S4 exhausts have CARB numbers though).

Also, about a year ago, a law was passed that made any modification of a functioning stock exhaust that leads to an increase in the sound output illegal.

Sucks, huh?

Cops or inspection stations can nail you for either, although cops rarely do, and you just need a "good" inspection station to overlook it. (Since even things like lowering springs are illegal and can make your car not pass inspection in MA).
Old 06-19-2002, 09:26 AM

Default You're the one who's backpedaling...you have backed away from ALL of your false statements...

...first, you claimed that it is illegal for Audi to void a warranty based upon the installation of catbacks; in response, I posted an EPA document which demonstrates that it is entirely legal.

Would you admit for one second that you were wrong? No. What you did do is the same thing you're doing now: try to change the argument, by using a lame, flat out lie: that I had said that the installation of catbacks was against federal law. Only after I pointed out to you not once, but twice, that I hadn't said this, did you muster a lame apology.

Then, you made another ridiculous claim: that PA has NO EMISSIONS LAWS!! I responded by posting BOTH a <b>link to the PA agency which governs these nonexistant PA emissions laws</b>, and quoted the relevant portion of the aforementioned EPA document, which states quite clearly that ALL vehicles are governed by federal emissions control laws, <b>even used vehicles</b>, which laid wast to another false claim of yours, namely that federal emissions laws are only applicable to <b>new</b> cars.

Now, you're arguing that since there is not testing in each and every county in PA, that proves conclusively that not every county in PA is governed by PA emissions laws, even though this is <b>not your original argument</b>, which was <i> In fact, many areas in PA have no emissions laws at all. </i>

Remember that? I do. That's what you wrote, and that's what you're arguing about. Or were, until it became apparant that you were losing, so you tried your time-tested tactic again: change the argument, and charge forward, now clumsily trying to argue that because there isn't emissions testing in each and every county in PA, then by golly, there are no state emissions laws. Well, each and every citizen of PA doesn't get tested for drugs either; does that mean that there are no drug laws in PA???

Furthermore, even if we discount (rightfully) this pathetic, nonsensical logic, you still have done NOTHING to prove your original, false statement, which was: <i> In fact, many areas in PA have no emissions laws at all. </i> . In fact, this statement has been proven totally false, and you know it, which is why, as before, you're weakly attempting to change arguments yet again. Well, no dice, bud.

You have been proven false in ALL of your claims, which I list again for your royal denseness:

1) that it is illegal for a car manufacturer to void a warranty on a car with catbacks installed; (false)

2) that I had claimed that the installation of catback exhausts was against federal law; (false)

3) that PA has no emissions control laws (false)

That's three out of three, moron. You lose.
Old 06-19-2002, 09:28 AM

Default Which does NOT prove your original false statement, which was:

<i>many areas in PA have no emissions laws at all. </i>

"No testing" does not prove "no law". It proves only that there is no testing. This is what is referred to as a "non-sequitur". Look it up in the dictionary, because I'm confident you have no idea what it means.

Furthermore, the EPA document I cited specifically addresses the applicability of federal emissions laws to all vehicles, in all 50 states.

You lose.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

That blows.
Old 06-19-2002, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I give up, this is my last post, you annoyed me out of it, congrats.
Old 06-19-2002, 01:10 PM
AudiWorld Member

I am begining to really dislike this state.............