S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Wastegate adjustments.....

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2004, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default but it's not been discussed at all is what marin is saying

like pressure testing....when someone mentions they have irregular boost or something, people always say "do a pressure test." Well, why hasn't checking wastegate pretension come up when people ask about like spiking? I think that's what he's talking about...not the fact that there isn't a piece of paper that says "check your wastegates" when you buy a chip. But if tuners have FAQ pages or troubleshooting pages, then wastegate adjustment is a valid thing that should be in there....because it is a very possible cause for problems.
Old 12-07-2004, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default My take on that...

You've got guys that can barely handle a socket wrench stubbornly trying to trouble shoot a very complex piece of german engineering.

Anything that a "tuner" could potentially offer on their website as a "FAQ" has twice as much potential to come back and bite them in the ***.

S4 enthusiast posts: I read the AWE FAQ about adjusting my wastegates, but afterwards I blew an inlet hose, sucked up a gerbal and blew my engine! AWE lawsuit pending...

I'm kind of playing devil's advocate here, but somebody has to.

It's nice to have forum/customer/owner awareness, but to what degree? I honestly don't think it's a subject that needs to make the AudiWorld rounds.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default very valid points.........i agree with your thinking, I just think it should be known

a disclaimer or warning about it, but to keep it quiet i don't agree with. That's like saying not to tell people about afr's and timing because the majority of them don't know what they're doing if they adjust them.

I 100% agree though that it's something the average DIY'er shouldn't be doing and could easily come around to bite the tuner in the ***.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default good points.

Maybe you could put a little somethin' together and run it by some of the pros in the field; innovative, borg warner, etc...

Or maybe there is already a write up out there?
Old 12-07-2004, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default see, that's where your points come into play...

it's not something that the consumer usually does. I'd rather say something like "wastegate adjustment is a possible cause for......take it to a qualified person to have it checked if you think this could be causing your problems."
Old 12-07-2004, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah

I know how far behind the curve I am on this stuff... it's definitely something that needs to be left to those few with experience.

I think I understand yours and Marin's points (although I don't agree with Marin's research methods), but I'm wary of blowing it out of proportion.
Old 12-07-2004, 08:50 AM

Default My research methods??? I posted a fact with good information.... Eric responded

I was looking for conformation on where the info was that he stated. I look on the web sites they were not there. I was looking for him to elaborate on where this could be found.

What is your problem with this?
Old 12-07-2004, 09:06 AM
ATH
Elder Member

It's not just a P-car forum...
Old 12-07-2004, 09:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default ahem

I found the basis of your argument to be formed from what you had NOT found on the internet; as if you expected to find all your answers on the AMS/APR/AWE/MTM website. I also didn't find your responses to Eric to be in good form. Maybe he was preparing an elaborate response to your question, but was turned off by your attitude?

...there are enough keyboard racers/engineers around here. I am always weary of the guy who cites the internet.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:41 AM

Default Internet or otherwise...I was looking for him to elaborate on his statements...

I have been very civil to Eric in the past. He has offered very little as of late. Put up or shut up is my position with him at this point.

I am far from a keyboard tuner. I started a thread to pass on great info and to offer insight as to where some boost spike may be coming from. To respond that XX tuners do without any documention (web or otherwise)does little to confirm his position. I can now understand where sooo many other people are coming from.

Quick Reply: Wastegate adjustments.....