S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Water pump only lasted 2 years!?

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-2010, 05:52 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water pump only lasted 2 years!?

My S4 had about 100,000 miles on it so I though I would be proactive and do the timing belt, water pump, etc.. service. I just fixed my auxilary water pump two months ago and then my main water pump developed a major leak and lost so much coolant my light went off.

Do these things only last two years? It wasn't installed at an Audi dealership.

Do you think when they "pressure tested" my secondary pump it might have stressed out my water pump?

So know I have to replace my water pump again along with the timing belt and a few other things.

This car has been a nightmare in repairs but I love driving it....
Old 07-01-2010, 05:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by luvluvS4
My S4 had about 100,000 miles on it so I though I would be proactive and do the timing belt, water pump, etc.. service. I just fixed my auxilary water pump two months ago and then my main water pump developed a major leak and lost so much coolant my light went off.

Do these things only last two years? It wasn't installed at an Audi dealership.

Do you think when they "pressure tested" my secondary pump it might have stressed out my water pump?

So know I have to replace my water pump again along with the timing belt and a few other things.

This car has been a nightmare in repairs but I love driving it....
It is imperative to get high quality water pump, thermostat, Tbelt and tensioner plus all the seals when doing timing job. The chance is that either the pump was of poor quality or the shop just plain didn't change the pump. This happens a lot.
Old 07-01-2010, 06:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah, sometimes it just happens that way. Most likely it was a substandard part, but if they never replaced it all you can probably tell by looking at it after you take it out.

2 year pump should look pretty new still, original pump will be pretty beat at this point. Sorry the car has been tough on you so far with the repairs. Good luck!
Old 07-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I am beginning to think the shop in Bellevue, WA "Autologic" just did a crummy install. Evidently the timing belt was rubbing against the cover and wore a hole in it. I doubt that was from the factory.

I will check the pump when I pick the car up today.

I never use my emergency brake. The shop called me and said the brake light is on and the handle won't go down all the way. I am guessing the gorilla tow truck driver yanked on it and broke it.

When it rains it pours!
Old 07-04-2010, 06:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by luvluvS4
I am beginning to think the shop in Bellevue, WA "Autologic" just did a crummy install. Evidently the timing belt was rubbing against the cover and wore a hole in it. I doubt that was from the factory.

I will check the pump when I pick the car up today.

I never use my emergency brake. The shop called me and said the brake light is on and the handle won't go down all the way. I am guessing the gorilla tow truck driver yanked on it and broke it.

When it rains it pours!
Are you saying the timing belt worn a hole in the water pump? A photo of the damage would be interesting?
Old 07-04-2010, 02:43 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I believe one of the belts wore a groove in the timing belt cover. Actually broke a small piece of it off too. These cars are just so expensive to work on I don't think I will take it up past 80MPH anymore. I sometimes would go up to 115 or so on a remote freeway but I think will all the belts and roller wheels this isn't a good idea with this car.
Old 07-05-2010, 05:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Vehicle speed doesn't affect shoddy workmanship. If the timing belt was rubbing a cover, then one of the covers was installed improperly or the belt was installed improperly. Sadly in this day and age, good mechanics are hard to find and cars are more complex.

The water pump failing in two years is sad, but possible and shoddy workmanship did not help the situation. No doubt the improperly installed timing cover added drag to the belt putting additional wear on the pump bearing and idler bearings etc.