S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Waterford Hills PCA Driver's Education Event Write-Up.... (sorry, long)

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2006, 05:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motul 600. Consider PF-01's or Ferrodo 3000's in pads.

I absolutely love the PF-01's, haven't tried the Ferrodo's yet. I've heard ruminations about running the 01's and then trying to switch back to street pads on the same rotors being a bad idea, but I can't honestly verify that. Hence why I have two sets of rotors I guess. Talk to Matt at Stoptech. Both pads (and second set of rotors) are a bit expensive though, but I assure you you won't regret the purchase.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:29 PM

Default There is something going on, just can't pinpoint if it's pad fade or fluid or actual problem.

In a nut shell, they are not confidence inspring when hot and being worked hard...sometimes have "gaps" in the pedal travel where it's not as firm and sometimes pedal travels very deep without ABS kicking in and/or a huge amount of braking occurring.

Over the winter, will definitely look into this. Either I'm blowing this out of proprtion or I'll stumble across whatever is causing this in the near future.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default if it only does it when hot, it could easily be the fluid.

if it does it cold, you have other issues, or you are imagining things.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:36 PM

Default PFC 97 Race pads were recommended to me today by an Evo driver...

Are you able to compare these to the PF-01s? I read the descriptions on Stoptech's site, but still could use some additional feeback. Thanks to Kaiserwilhelmi for the initial response and thanks to anyone who can answer this one.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:37 PM

Default Heat just exacerbates it, still could have firmer pedal and less travel cold IMO...

but maybe I'm just too accustomed to driving the 348 and 996TT, which both have majorly awesome confidence inspring brakes that could bring trains to a halt.

My mind could be playing tricks on me, not dismissing this as an explanation.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:42 PM

Default Oh, it was. I wish more Audis would get involved in PCA events. I don't like being the only one.

How's your car coming along? Part of me is afraid to ask, but I did anyway.
Old 09-14-2006, 05:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Good work! Glad you made it home in one piece...

but you're probably uber tired...you know, being up at the asscrack of dawn this morning!

Glad you recovered from the off-road excursion. That's never a fun thing.

--morgan
Old 09-14-2006, 06:05 PM

Default not the pads, it is the fluid, our cars are heavy and short tracks are killers ...

- I can go to Mosport, very fast track and never get the soft brake pedal
- on a short track close to Niagara (Dunneville), brutal for S4s, I can get a soft pedal with motul 600

- so for those that don't believe you can boil motul 600 in an S4, I have done it and the pedal goes all the wall to the floor

- the answer is you have to use the best brake fluid possible on shorter heavy braking tracks and hope it is enough - otherwise start finding things to strip out of the car to make it lighter

- I have gone through 4 sets of Pad oranges and they are fine in my opinion

- I used the crazy expensive pf-01s last year at watkins glen and I can say that I don't think I'm a good enough driver to heat then up enough and the one draw back of these pads, other than price, is that if you don't bed them in before you hit the track, you will get a horrible vibration as they don't like any foreign pad material on the rotors - I think to cook those pads you would need 335/40/17 hoosiers and you would have to stand on the brakes at every corner

- two weeks until I hit Tremblant for 2 days and learn how to drive again + I'm not going to turn down the boost (race file is 22psi across the curve) as I haven't driven the car in so long that if the turbos blow I will probably just leave the car in Quebec and walk away from this madness
Old 09-14-2006, 06:24 PM

Default 3 hours of sleep last night didn't help anything. Fortunately, I slept for a few while flagging....

Dad did all the work while I rested.
Old 09-14-2006, 06:26 PM

Thanks for the insight, sounds very reasonable. I need super duper sensationally spectacular fluid!

Quick Reply: Waterford Hills PCA Driver's Education Event Write-Up.... (sorry, long)