S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Waxing

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-1999, 03:04 PM
AvramD

Default I used "Prolong" Paint sealant... easy to apply & has lifetime paint warranty

This stuff was recommended by my dealer. It is a "paint sealent," not just a wax.

The company claims that it actually bonds with your paint, rather than just "sitting on top," and therefore lasts much longer. The deal is that if you use it once a year, and re-register with their warranty program every year, then if your paint <b>ever</b> loses it's gloss quality, or if the color fades, they'll reimburse you for getting it professionally repaired, up to $3,000. It only applies to the first owner.

The only product I've ever used before is Turtle Wax (on my del sol). This stuff was much easier to put on - you buff it off as soon as you apply it - no waiting for it to dry. It takes about 1/3 the elbow grease (i.e. rubbing pressure) to buff off as the turtle wax.

I'm a little nervous about the suggestion that it "bonds" to my paint - makes me wonder how it does that without weaking/discoloring it. But it looks great so far.

The company recommends reapplying it twice a year, although once/yr is sufficient for the warranty.

Anyone else have experience with Prolong? I'd love a second opinion as to whether I just screwed myself or not 8-)
Old 10-18-1999, 03:08 PM
AvramD

Default Here's the URL

<ul><li><a href="http://shop.prolong.com/Prolong/index.htm">www.prolong.com</a></li></ul>
Old 10-18-1999, 03:22 PM
PeteW

Default I am looking for a wax/anything, that will make it effectively past one car wash...

Zymol - Forget it.
Blitz - Will last longer than Zymol, shine better but will not make it past the carwash
Zaino Bro's - Never heard of it, so I am concerned that it is snake oil...

Anything out there that will look GOOD and make it past one wash? Anything out there that when I see a bird shi* on the car, I know I don't have to buff the car this weekend?

BTW, I used the Mother's Claybar on my trade in car this weekend, and it worked pretty well. I think I needed to do it anther time on the top surfaces, or less of the spray or press down a bit more. The overspray came up, but mostly in spots where the spray on lubricant was thin (so I think). You can see clean streaks (where there is 0 overspray). Other than that, on regular contaminants, it did a great job!

-PeteW
Old 10-18-1999, 03:34 PM
justin

Default I tried it on my A4

Wasn't impressed at all! It lasts about two car washes and then you'll have to reapply it. Mind you it is easy to put on and wipe off. And it leaves an incredible shine, but I think I'll go back to Meguiar's Professional Wax on my S4
Old 10-18-1999, 03:50 PM
Scot Kight

Default Zaino = GOOD.

Use it. Follow the instructions, its SUPER easy. Write to the owner, he loves to talk about his products. This isnt one of those weird companies where you never talk to anyone. You can talk to the owner.

Its a great product, it looks AMAZING. And works.
Old 10-18-1999, 04:01 PM
Eric H.

Default Try Zymol or similar carnauba wax on body; turtle wax on wheels...

The turtle wax on the wheels allows you to wipe off brake dust with a misting bottle of water and a few squares of paper towel.
Old 10-18-1999, 04:47 PM
Andy Hedin

Default What are you using as a car wash soap....

I wax my A4 with One-Grand Blitz wax and can easily go 3 or 4 months before I need to wax again. I use Sonax Gloss Shampoo as my car wash soap. Sounds like your soap is too harsh and is stripping the wax off.

YMMV,
Andy Hedin
Old 10-18-1999, 07:18 PM
wolff

Default Re: What are you using as a car wash soap....

Sonex products work great esp their car wash. Other products include Surluster but somewhat $$. I like PS21 glaze twice a year to be followed by Blitz carnuba.
Old 10-18-1999, 08:08 PM
Marc

Default Experience with first wax

I used Pinnacle paint cleaner for the first time this weekend, followed by One Grand Blitz wax. I agree that it is a very good product. Try using a plastic bag over your hand to feel the surface before and after using the cleanser. THe Blitz wax went on easily and came off easily. Looked very good on my Silver S4.
Old 10-19-1999, 05:16 AM
PeteW

Default Sorry, I meant...

Car wash, as in the kind you take a car to, not do it yourself.

I have used Sonax, but I still prefer Zymol Car Wash. The Zymol leaves the car looking better than the Sonax. I use Sonax just before I go to wax the car.

Quick Reply: Waxing