S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Weird stoptech problem, anyone else see this before?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2002, 07:27 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS systems are definitely designed for the track, but the threshold tables

that are in our cars are probably not the same as for a race car. The parameters for use on a track in a race do not match the needs of a daily driver on the streets.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:29 AM
Elder Member

Default Wonder if those sort of things are adjustable through the basic settings...

or the configuration code via VAG?

I wish there was more info about what all the basic settings blocks and config codes for the engine and the rest of the car are all.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default This is what I reported several months ago...it happens with stock brakes too

In my S4 and S4 Avant it happened to me no less than 20 times now. It is like the ESP/ABS system is overridden and locks up the front brakes while in a turn. Very annoying to me. Other people who track a lot know exactly what this feels like.....Tony @ ND...ryanS4...and many others.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:34 AM

Default I don't think so and that's probably a Good Thing(TM).

I think those parameters are specifically part of the braking system and not associated with the general computer functions of the car.

This could be a very dangerous thing for end users to be playing around with given the consequences of screwing anything up. I think I would rather have this in the hands of folks who have a clue.
Old 06-07-2002, 07:37 AM

20 times now?!?!?! This is all with stock brakes?
Old 06-07-2002, 08:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default anyone know how much quattro plays in this equation?

Locking any wheel should cause some feedback, mechanically, into the diffs right? The only reason I bring this up is because I was told my rear brakes wear more on the track (% wise than the front) because they are smaller and quattro is forcing some load back onto them because quattro disallows them to lock as easy...

FYI I'm not talking about the TT in the above - but rather my Avant. I do realize my TT has a whole different quattro going on....

cheers
Old 06-07-2002, 08:20 AM
RR
AudiWorld Super User

Has anyone seen this who does NOT have ESP. I never have (MY2000).
Old 06-07-2002, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I'll try to expand for Taner since I have this problem and he doesn't...

After talking with Steve S and Jason at New Dimensions, I started to realize that this "weird" thing happening was not my fault.

Basically, under heavy (and I mean HEAVY) braking, like you went in a little hot, and you lift off the brake to start to turn the car (and apply throttle), the car will make the nice locking noise, and continue to apply the brakes for a second.

Needless to say this is absolute crap since if you're in that bad a shape, the last thing you need is the car acting on its own. I've had this happen about 3 or 4 times now, with both stock and aftermarket brakes.

I am going to try to unplug the ESP module on my next track visit and attempt to duplicate the issue.

Speculation is that it has to do with the ESP sensors (still recieving data even when ESP is turned off) seeing your car do something it doesn't think it should be doing. I guess an analogy would be to think of it as an "emergency ESP" feature where ESP decides that this is too much (too much being yaw rate, wheel speed sensors, and the addition of throttle coupled to the steering angle) and continues to brake the car in hopes of stabilizing the situation.

Unfortunately, ESP cannot see what you are seeing as the driver, and it has no idea that by continuing to apply full braking (when you as the driver deemed it necessary to begin turning), you end up with a really difficult situation. The car wants to continue braking straight, and you, being the smart driver that you are, realize that by going straight, you will drive right off the track, or worse, right into a wall.

The good news is, it only lasts for a second, the bad news is, it does enough damage in that second to get you bent out of shape where you have to try everything you can to keep the car on course.

*Hopefully*, unpluging the ESP module will eliminate this "emergency ESP" feature, and you can again rely on your driver inputs to be the only controlling force on the car.

More to come on this topic...
Old 06-07-2002, 09:41 AM
RR
AudiWorld Super User

Default Don Istook was saying that you could disable ABS easily by pulling a plug in the

area where all the brake lines come out of the block of metal. He was trying to convince me to try it to improve the brake pedal feel, but I chickened out.

RR
Old 06-07-2002, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default i think it's a problem in ESP equipped S4's, so I'm hoping that disabling ESP will solve it...

wether or not that means losing ABS, i don't know...

Quick Reply: Weird stoptech problem, anyone else see this before?