S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Well, I'm worried I may have a bulge too... talked to dealer.. (more)

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2000, 10:31 AM
Alex Milenkovic

Default Well, I'm worried I may have a bulge too... talked to dealer.. (more)

I went today to get my "free" car wash on my 8 day old Nogaro blue. 650 miles - I know that's not a lot, but I'm still nearing the end of the blasted break in period..

Anyway, I feel a wobble at 30 and 70 mph, which as I understand, are the most common MPH to notice the bubble problem. Anyway, I was talking with the lady who sold me the S4, and she said that they had just had a sales meeting that morning. She said that Audi feels that most owners don't understand that these are "low profile" "high performance" tires and that hitting a pothole will almost certainly warp them. Because they're "low profiles" even a smallish pothole will cause them to bubble, because there's not very much sidewall to flex (I'm paraphrasing what she said). She ALSO said, people only complain about the bubbling in the winter time (when, she claims, potholes come out) but there are no complaints of problems in the summertime.

To me, this was informative for several reasons:

1. AOA -is- aware of the problem. Bridgestone may not be, but it seems that a large number of Audi owners complain to their dealer.
2. AOA is either being stupid about this (oh no, it's your own damn fault) or is afraid to admit that they have put a tire on the S4 that doesn't match it's weight/wheel characteristics/rims, and as such is far more prone to bubbling than it should be.
3. Bridgestone, by virtue of the limited number of S4s (3000 sold to date, or some such) probably IS unaware that this is a big problem.

I'm really amazed that Audi feels it's acceptable to mount tires on a car that will bubble with one good pothole hit. I haven't hit any yet (I'm quite paranoid) and if the damn thing is bubbling, I'm going to be bitter.

More than anything, I'm -really- upset about the whole "You guys are idiots and dont know how to drive, and you're all lying about the fact that you haven't hit any potholes - admit it, you abused the tire and now it's bubbling!!!" mentality that both AOA and Bridgestone have in this issue. I'm sorry, but for $40,000 the damn car should come with tires that don't fall apart in 650 miles!!

Anyway, I'm going to have the tires looked at monday/tuesday. If you see some rabid, fire breathing, audi swearing post on here, you'll know why.

Alex.
Old 02-19-2000, 11:02 AM
DJL

Default Re: Well, I'm worried I may have a bulge too... talked to dealer.. (more)

No problems yet here and love my S4....but I agree with your assesment of their mentality. I drove an M3 prior to the S4 that had wider, lower profile tires. I never experienced any problems with tires or rims even given the occasional run in with a pothole. Nor can I recall any complaints on their forums. The Audi forum is riddled with complaints on both. Maybe Audi has less experience in producing true performance vehicles then BMW.
Old 02-19-2000, 11:47 AM
tiredoftirecomplaints

Well, get some 14" wheels and you won't have the problems you describe
Old 02-19-2000, 11:52 AM
BruceS4

Default Re: Well, I'm worried I may have a bulge too... talked to dealer.. (more)

For Audi to say these are "low profile" tires in todays performance tire arena is a joke. If you look around and start compairing the tires of other cars on the road today the aspect ratio of this tire is not that uncommon, even on cars that are not even considered "performance" cars. I've had many 18" wheel/tire combos in the past and never had a bubble appear on the tire. I've bent may rims from hitting potholes and one to the point that the rim bent and cracked, still no tire damage, this on rims with tires about half the sidewall height our current S4 tires do. Yes, I do have a bubble on my right front tire and no, I cannot rember hitting a pothole large enough to do this damage. Like the rest of us have said in earlier posts I really do think there is a valid problem with these tires. Wether or not Audi/Brigestone know yet that there is a problem is another story, but they should start to look at this more closley because of the growing number of complaints from this.
Old 02-19-2000, 11:56 AM
Tiredofyoucomplainingabouttirecomplaints

Default I guess you dont have a bubble on your tire, YET. I bet you'll change your tune when it

happens to you.
Old 02-19-2000, 12:51 PM
Dare

Default Please don't!

Despite its recent tone, this forum is NOT the place for pissed-off S4 owners to come and vent their spleen. If, after you have the tires looked at, you have a question or observation you'd like to share with the board, please do. But please keep any "rabid, fire breathing, audi swearing posts" to yourself.
Old 02-19-2000, 01:00 PM
Jim De Arras

I'm certian it's a defective tire issue. (Has the word "Bridgestone" on the side, no fixing that!)
Old 02-19-2000, 01:15 PM
BruceS4

Default Thats what makes this forum interesting. Are we all just susposed to keep

reposting how we're all so super tickled pink with our super duber Audi's, that would be boring. Besides there would be nothing new to read.
Old 02-19-2000, 01:47 PM
Steve S.

Dare...are you gonna put SP9000s on your S4?
Old 02-19-2000, 02:06 PM
KevinL

Default Tire bubble dosen't cause by low profile tire along!!!...

I own serveral high performace wheel+ tires combo all of them are either 17 or 18' Never have this bubble issue. Even when hitting potholes, the rims might bent but never any bubble(it DON'T work like you got a low pro. tire, you hit a pothole then you get a bubble). So I really think the bubble problems are some what related to the 040. Of course you can buy any tires you want... snow tires for winter, HP tires for summer and a set of slicks for track, its all about money!!But that not the point here. Most of the people with tires problem only have an average about 5-6k miles or less on their tires and really think it's a waste to throw a new set($1000) of tire away. For those who didn't experience the bubble yet, congradulation!! And the message will become clear when the problem strikes you...Good Luck

Quick Reply: Well, I'm worried I may have a bulge too... talked to dealer.. (more)