S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Wet Carpets from Rain

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 11:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wet Carpets from Rain

2000 S4 with an interior leak(s) someplace - - park it in the rain and the carpets become damp.

I have cleaned out the drain area under the battery and all along under the front windshield. also made sure the front sun roof drains work...

Are there rear sun roof drain holes? I could not see any...

Any ideas?

P e a c e KYC
Old 11-02-2009, 12:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Door seals, windshield seal, moonroof seal, outside/inside vent not closing, trunk seal (you haven't said which carpet, so trunk is apropo if it's the rear carpet). Might also check the trunk carpet. Is it wet as well? Might tell you something.

I'd troubleshoot as follows:

Narrow down the carpet issue to one quadrant or the other.
Get the carpet as dry as possible.
Lay down some paper towels by door joints and cover the front or rear carpet with them, depending on which quadrant is getting wet.
Have someone spray water on the car (high arc to simulate rain) while I'm inside seeing where the water is really coming in.
Watch the paper towels. Either they'll start to saturate, or you may have to put some pressure on them if it is 'wicking' of the carpets causing the issue.

Good luck.
Old 11-04-2009, 04:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Kychucky
2000 S4 with an interior leak(s) someplace - - park it in the rain and the carpets become damp.

I have cleaned out the drain area under the battery and all along under the front windshield. also made sure the front sun roof drains work...

Are there rear sun roof drain holes? I could not see any...

Any ideas?

P e a c e KYC
Which carpets? Front, back, left, right?

Did you check the cabin pollen/air filter? I've had water come through there before, due to the windshield drain above it being misalligned.

Rory
Old 11-05-2009, 12:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

99 percent of the time its because leaves and dirt are up under the plastic cover overtop your battery and brake res. if you pull it up and pull the battery out you can pull out the leaves and such from the drains, one under the batt, one under the brake booster. then blow air down the drains carefully and dump some water down there to make sure its unclogged. then blow out the sunroof drains, there are 2 in the front and are easy to get to and there are 2 in teh rear you may have to blow out from the back of the car wherever they drain too. again be carefull you dont want to blow the hose out somewhere inside the body and have to fish it out.
Old 11-08-2009, 04:57 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

thanks all. I will try to find the rear sun roof drain holes and clean them. Then its off to spray the car down with me inside. Sounds like a good project for me and my son.

OUr drive way is a hill so the water is ending up in the drivers side rear/back seat foot well.

I was actually quite shocked when I cleaned under the battery area and noted that it was a very bad design. any of you guys drive an original vw bug? remember the battery area in those? The battery well in this audi is almost the same - even with the same black tar paper stuck to the sheet metal. I picked out as much of the tar paper as possible as it was holding water and dirt. This is an area that will need much attention to keep clean to avoid rust.

thanks again - I will follow up with my findings.

P e a c e
KYC
Old 11-08-2009, 06:35 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

ive had my 2000 s4 for just over a month now
its been raining for the last 4 days straight now and i too was greeted by a soaking wet carpet yesterday
its coming from under the steering wheel somewhere so id guess that i have the same problem as you kychucky
i will look into it asap
Old 11-09-2009, 04:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by skurukutoi
ive had my 2000 s4 for just over a month now
its been raining for the last 4 days straight now and i too was greeted by a soaking wet carpet yesterday
its coming from under the steering wheel somewhere so id guess that i have the same problem as you kychucky
i will look into it asap
If it's under the steering wheel then check around your ECU box and make sure it is seated properly. There is a large hole in the firewall right under the ECU box where most of the electric wires pass through.
Old 11-10-2009, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks! i will give that a check as well
im really looking forward to solving this problem
a car like this really shouldnt be forcing me to drive my '93 accord instead haha
Old 12-15-2009, 09:25 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default It was the hood cable grommet

the windshield drains right onto the grommet for the hood release cable on the drivers side. In my case the rubber grommet also is the passage for the turbo timer (I think). So there is 2 items passing through there, anyway I gooped it up and no more leaks.

The amount of crap from the previous owner parking under trees was amazing! So much stuff behind the electrical box and under the battery as well as at the corner of the windshield. Dont be tempted by the shade! - - thanks for all the tips yall.

KYC
Old 03-01-2010, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Member

can someone please post a diagram on where the drains are/how to access them? 2002 A4 Avant..getting water in both driver and passenger side wells...sunroof drains seem clear