S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

What is the deal with Lemon Laws? When do I get a new car? or something?

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2003, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is the deal with Lemon Laws? When do I get a new car? or something?

No one has had any responses on when I can start to complain that my car has been out of commision for weeks/months out of a year. What are the lawn on lemoning a car? When can I demand I get a new one, or they buy it back, I think they are getting sick of me cause their customer service is starting to diminish... respect.. wait times for call backs... etc I guess all dealers do this... when they have your car for 3 weeks, they stop calling you at the end of every day . but that isnt good enough..

They are getting rude on the phone too, all i want is my freaking car back i havent once asked the dealership to pay for my insurance surcharge on the car. But i have been speaking with Audi of America, and they say there is nothing they can do for me.. I will have to just wait while the dealer exhausts every way they have to try to solve my problem... How freakin' long do i wait without my car?

B<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/1411941.phtml">Last thread(contains link to original thread)</a></li></ul>
Old 10-03-2003, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default okay, here's where I step in...

first of all, go to your state attorney general's website and find the actual text of your state's lemon law. In California (for instance) it's 30 days (or more) out of service in the first 18 months and/or 4 or more visits for the same unresolved problem and/or an unresolved serious safety issue.

Lemon law is simple and concise. If your car becomes a "defacto" lemon (meets one or more of the legal tests) then the manufacturer has to replace or refund the cost of the car (minus depreciation up till the first time the car had the problem it's being lemoned for) as specified in the state's law.

Now here's the problem. AoA will NOT replace your car or give you a refund under lemon law unless you get a lawyer (and to repeat...if it doesn't meet the lemon law test for your state, dont waste your time calling a lawyer). If you have a case, you have to get a lawyer who does lemon laws (he typically gets a retainer but all his fees are paid as a separate part of the settlement) and he'll write a demand letter and Audi will bow down to you immediately.

You need to get a complete timeline written including mileages, dealer visits, time out of service, who you spoke too, receipts etc. You need to have contacted the manufacturer and have given them a "reasonable" chance to fix the car (meaning you can't simply lemon a car without even having called AoA).

You will know if you have a lemon based on your state's law and if NOT then you are basically fuxored because if AoA doesn't feel like helping you they won't.

Now keep in mind, lemon law doesn't protect you if you've voided the new car warranty so if your problems can be reasonably linked to mods, a lawyer may not want to touch this.

Also, arbitration is for the manufacturer and you would be giving up your legal rights...skip it.
Old 10-03-2003, 02:28 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default here's a link too...

to save some searching.......if you are in North Carolina it appears 20 days out of service would have been enough.<ul><li><a href="http://www.carlemon.com/lemonstat.html">http://www.carlemon.com/lemonstat.html</a</li></ul>
Old 10-03-2003, 03:34 PM
Elder Member

Default Like NASA said, check the state laws... your car is over a year old, so its unlikely to be lemonable

At least in the states I've lived in, its X number of times at the shop to fix a problem reported in the first year. Length of time for a single time at the shop is not necessarily a lemonable issue.

Its suprising Audi isn't taking care of you. Its probably because a few weeks really isn't a big deal for fixing a problem the dealer can't track down. Have you explained to them (and provided documentation) for the number of times the car has been in the shop for the problem? It took some sweet talking them, but Audi took care of me in a very acceptable way when my car spent almost three months in the shop while the dealer and Audi were trying to work out what was wrong with the transmission.
Old 10-03-2003, 05:55 PM

Default I live in NC as well and my car just passed the 20 day mark in the shop

I'm on my third visit and 20 business days in for repairs on my brakes. I think I may have to start writing some letters.
Old 10-05-2003, 04:05 PM
AudiWorld Super User

my car is stock, and always has been. But i think the problem started after the first year