S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

What do you say when someone sees your S4 and says "hey, is that a new Jetta"?

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2003, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What do you say when someone sees your S4 and says "hey, is that a new Jetta"?

True story, happened to me last night. I was out with some friends and decided to stop by work on my way home. It was about 10:30PM so it was dark, and after I got through the security gates I drove to the parking lot nearest my building. There were only a few other cars there so I took one of the many open spots. As I walked towards the building from my car I hear somebody shout something from a distance. I turn and look and there are three guys taking a break out on the loading dock. I said "what?" because I couldn't hear him initially and then listened more closely. He said, "Was that you that just got out of the silver car?" I replied, "yeah". And I swear, he then said, "What is that, a Jetta?". Now, usually I'd try to come up with some clever quip in retort, but I was so stunned I couldn't come up with anything suitable. So I just said, "no, it's an Audi S4" and walked into the building, flabbergasted.

Anyway, just thought I'd share. I could tell you the whole story of what happened to me this morning too, with this @sshole roaring around a school zone at high speed in an old Monte Carlo SS, but that just brings back my road rage. :-)
Old 06-24-2003, 07:06 AM

"No, it's a passat"
Old 06-24-2003, 07:11 AM

Default I've come to the understanding that there are a lot of people out there that are clueless about cars

at least this guy had the right country of origin! Most people that ask me don't even know what an Audi is!!!
Old 06-24-2003, 07:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah, no doubt. Even a lot who think they know cars still think an S4 is just an A4 "sport"

I met one guy this past weekend who wanted to know if the S4 had more horespower than the A4 with the 4.2 engine. I kept telling him that he must be thinking of the A6 but he wouldn't listen.

Whatever though I guess. I didn't buy the car to impress people; in fact, I bought it partially because of it's non-showiness. Still, it's frustrating when people spout off or don't believe you when clearly they don't know what they're talking about.
Old 06-24-2003, 07:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

"wow ,four rings ,is this an Olympic car ? "
Old 06-24-2003, 07:40 AM
Rest In Peace

Default No wonder why our company is going down the drain...

If employees don't even recognize an Audi, with HID lights from a JETTA.....

Hehe, my SIL (sister in law) told her friends we were driving an A8, she knew it was something different than an A4...but couldn't remember, BIL (brother in law) drove it around the block...he was sold rite away.......
Old 06-24-2003, 07:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

"and the S must stand for special + the 5th ring's missing = hrm must be a special olympics car" :P
Old 06-24-2003, 07:43 AM

LOL!!! That's what my mother-in-law said!!! :-)
Old 06-24-2003, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default does it really matter that folks who are clueless about cars don't know what your car is?

One of the reasons I chose the S4 was its understated nature. Those who know will appreciate it, those who don't won't (and their opinions don't really matter to me).
Old 06-24-2003, 08:07 AM

It's a little better then my story. When I was fueling up someone commented "you have a nice BMW"

Quick Reply: What do you say when someone sees your S4 and says "hey, is that a new Jetta"?