S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

What is fair? (shop rant)

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-2006, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is fair? (shop rant)

I will try to make this short. Took the car in to have a wheel bearing replaced on the front passenger side at shop A. They replaced it, but the part was defective so they had to replace it again like 2 weeks later. About 3 weeks after that, I go to a different shop to get the rear brake pads replaced (I don't have the retractor tool or I would have done it myself). In the process, shop B removed the front wheels to inspect the front brakes, as a courtesy. I am then notified that when removing the lugs of the front passenger side wheel, metal shavings from both the hub and the lugs came out. They were both screwed up due to, what I believe, was shop A's error. They didn't pre-tighten the lugs before using the air gun to screw them in. This caused the misalignment of the lugs to the threads in the hub. This happened only on that wheel and only on 2 of the 5 lugs. Shop A agreed to replace the parts, but only to make me happy, not because they admit fault, which is BS. I get a rental which the owner refused to pay for. He gave me the expectation that it would be ready on Monday but now, they cannot get the part and it is unknown how long it will take to track it down.

My question to you is, should they pay for the rental for the number of days past Monday?

It was clearly their fault that this happened. Why should I have to pay for their incompetence?

Am I taking crazy pills? What is fair?

(I apologize for my lack of proper terminology)
Old 05-23-2006, 06:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you've suggested is fair, but often difficult to pursue
Old 05-23-2006, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default At least shop A was willing to fix the problem. They could've been jerks and denied they caused the

damage. Then it is a case of shop A's word v shop B's.

You can try to get them to pay for the rental but, are you really going to go back to shop A, even if they did? They may realize you probably won't be back, and be reluctant to offer any additional compensation. Even some dealers will only give you a loaner if you bought the car from them.
Old 05-23-2006, 08:30 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Yeah, I agree. They know I am not coming back

I am so pissed about this regardless of who pays. They have dropped the ball several times and I am just fed up with them.