S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

What happens when some things are missing from your Hotel room?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2006, 06:28 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What happens when some things are missing from your Hotel room?

I've been at this hotel for 3 weeks now, and haven't had any problem. But today I switched rooms because the internet wasn't very good. So I started to pack up my things to move to the other room and noticed my Digital camera wasn't in the case. So I look around for it but I know it was in the case. I keep looking and don't find it. I got to the front office to let them know that I'm missing my camera.

Upon packing more of my stuff, I notice that my Sony PSP is missing also! Now I'm even more upset. I call the police and make a report and the front office has the report also.

Now, I stay in hotels at least 7-8 months out of the year for the past 12 years. I've never had anything missing from my room, ever.

Is the hotel responsible for things like this or am I $hit out of luck? I don't expect the items to be found or anything. Though it has to be one of the maids, as they are the only ones with access to the room other than myself. The thing is that the last time I used or saw either one was on Christmas Day. They weren't Christmas gifts and I actually used the camera on Christmas to take some pictures. So its been quite a few days since I noticed they are missing.

Any one with similar experiences? I think that the hotel should be held responsible as I sometimes see the maids hold the doors wide open as they are cleaning, but sometimes they aren't in the room. But I really don't think someone just walked into my room and took that stuff, because I almost know its the maids. Its weird because they didn't take my laptop and it was sitting on top of my Sony PSP.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Usually you're SOL unless you're at a nice place with "image" and other BS.

I'd publically pitch a fit at the concierge or registration desks about it. Do it at a peak check-in time for maximum leverage... theft happens a lot at hotels, you've been really fortunate to never have been hit before now(based on your work habits).

Used to travel a lot, make sure you have current pics and serials of all your valuables. Most hotels have policy not to have responsibility for valuables on their premises... good luck.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default PSP and Digi cams can be put in a pocket, or fanny pack. Laptop cannot. I would

think that it is the Hotels fault. Damn maids. Good luck.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah its a national big/nice hotel chain
Old 01-04-2006, 06:45 PM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Could be a maid...but just as easily someone trolling the hotel looking for

"opportunities". A hotel between the hours of 9-12 on a weekend is a prime opportunity for theft. Maids frequently leave rooms open. Just walk in like you belong, take what you want and leave. And if a maid walks in on you...you tell her it's your room.

As for why your laptop didn't walk. It's too conspicuous. Most people would rather stuff something in their pocket and walk. Nobody is the wiser. And if it's someone working at the hotel, a laptop case is a dead giveaway that they are stealing.

Most hotels have some kind of sign absolving themselves of responsibility for the theft of valuables left in the room, so I'm not sure you would get very far by confronting them. But you have nothing to lose.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts

That's why you need to use the safes when you leave the room for the day.
Old 01-04-2006, 06:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default usually hotel offer (for free) locked storage facility for valuable good (laptop,jewelry,cash)

so they are not responsible for your lost.

Once on vacation, I got $200 cash that disappeared, it was stuffed under my shirts in a drawer, while I was away at the beach. I should have use the locked storage at the front desk, lesson learned.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:00 PM

Default that sux, I'm reading this from my hotel room (big/nice chain) in Boston

Just thinking how volunerable and trusting people (including my self are). I also spend probably 8 months/year living in hotel rooms for work and so far have had good luck leaving valuables/electronics out in the when out of the room but when I am at client sites/work during the day I usually put the higher end or more valuable items in my laptop bag if there is not a safe in the room.

Best of luck getting compensated for what taken from you.
Old 01-04-2006, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default i once caught someone stealing my stuff

The maids at a hotel i was using one time placed a bunch of my things into their cart, hidden under linens, this was 2 min after i went downstairs to check out, i came back up to get the second half of my stuff (this was low cost items, but had been in shopping bags) the cart was in front of the room with my stuff hidden among it, and the maid was no where to be found.

I contacted the front desk, had the maid come down and confronted her infront of her manager, just to embarrass her, it was the only thing i could do, because she claimed she thought i had checked out. (though the look on her face said otherwise)
Old 01-05-2006, 06:52 AM
AudiWorld Expert

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default I had this happen..hotel will wash their hands of it...tell you to take it to the police

BTW, we caught the maintenance guy that stole the check out of my checkbook..and tried to cash a check at one of the check cashing places. Hopefully the asshat is still in jail.