S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

What the heck does this sound like? It makes no sense!

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2008, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What the heck does this sound like? It makes no sense!

Stg 3 asp. fueling ko4s...

Sometimes the car works perfectly! flawlessly! Super powerful, no problems...this has happened in both hot and cold weather..

But most of the time, as soon as the car passes 17 psi it will shudder and gets a flashing check engine light...which throws the car into limp mode 6 psi max for the next acceleration..but then it will allow me to go to full boost again in a few seconds..

It stores no faults in vagcom! But vagcom works, it registers other errors if I ever get them..

The wackiest thing is, sometimes it wlll work perfectly in all gears, hold 21 psi taper to 20 etc..

but then the next pulll it will shudder past 17 psi and flashing check engine...

or vice versa.... in all weather conditions!!!

If it was a boost leak would it not leak every time? Or at least only leak with certain circumstances. such as once it gets hot etc...

But here there has been no rhyme or reason, it just sometimes works awesome, sometimes doesnt.

What the heck is this? If it was a boost leak, how could it activate sometimes, and not all the time...that doesnt make sense, given the variety of weather conditions it has worked well in..

its sounds almost like an electrical problem..I have been suspicious of my spark plugs, or coil packs, since it seems that 17 psi is fine but not past that...seems like plug is having trouble with high pressure blow by perhaps, and perhaps there is an intermmitent problem with the plugs..

BUT. theres nothing in vagcom ever to support this, I never have stored misfired...even at idle the misifre count is very good and low...

Anyones opinion is greatly appreciated...
Old 08-05-2008, 08:47 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default A few things. A) do you have any boost/vac leaks? B) do you have any stored codes (many will not..

trigger a CEL). C) do you have any logs? Blocks 3 and 115 to start, 3rd gear WOT from 3K to redline (FATS).

Bruce
Old 08-05-2008, 08:47 PM

log blocks 003 and 115 seperately
Old 08-05-2008, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default there may be a slight leak in the F hose..no stored codes at all! Have checked many times.

have had the wonderful friends log my car a few times.. has a a small boost leak... everything else good. primary 02 sensor 2 is erratic in its readings, although brand new, maybe I ruined it somehow installing it, its zig zaggy past 3k rpm

but how the heck would it run consistent and perfect sometimes, then other times no...

that makes no sense if it was a leak..

oh bother
Old 08-05-2008, 08:57 PM

lol
Old 08-05-2008, 09:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

has a a small boost leak... everything else good????????? FIX THE LEAK!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default youre not getting it. how the heck would a leak just go away sometimes?

is there such a thing is a intermittent leak? If so Ill be glad, but that makes no sense.

help appreciated either way
Old 08-05-2008, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Wow...yes...it can be intermittent...you don't understand that you have

all these issues and you expect the car to run properly? Seriously, common man. Fix the easy stuff that you know is broken. Post logs for us when you have a mechanically solid, leak free setup.

Most people are willing to help, but not when you state you have a boost and vaccumm leak. These will cause boost deviation.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

F-cker, didn't know you were jk. lol
Old 08-05-2008, 09:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default well I guess thats all i need to know. just never heard of Intermittent boost leak!

I figure under the exact same conditions it would leak all the time!
shoot.
Its just hard for me to imagine how the leak would leak sometimes and not all the time. But thanks for confirming it. I will fix it tomm.

Quick Reply: What the heck does this sound like? It makes no sense!