S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

What parts of our S4's are susceptible to EMP damage besides the ECU?

Search this Thread

Old 02-12-2003, 11:51 AM
Elder Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm... green glowing silica slag.
Old 02-12-2003, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Lots of duct tape....
Old 02-12-2003, 12:59 PM
RR
AudiWorld Super User

Default Might be time to buy some iodine pills :-(

You don't want those fallout products in your thyroid gland....that's some really bad juju.

A nuclear exchange will spoil things far worse than the 9/11 events. Count on gasoline and most other things being rationed and everyone in your age group being drafted.

Since my 48th birthday is but a week away, I'll plan to be one of the few S4 owners left in the US. But, I'll be rooting for you!

RR
Old 02-12-2003, 01:11 PM
LCP
AudiWorld Expert

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Mom got us some last year.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:26 PM
Elder Member

Default No one would get drafted...

I don't see that happening any more -- these days fighting is too high-tech and skilled. You can't give any grunt a gun and hope things work out.

I don't think either Iraq, the countries supporting al Queda or N. Korea has any idea what sort of distruction will come down upon them if any sort of weapons of mass distruction are used on American soil. You're talking about countries with zero deterrant threat, unlike a nuclear standoff with the Soviet Union. You're talking a quantity of fallout well below the levels believed with current climatic modeling would lead to nuclear winter, and you're talking the strongest country in the history of the planet being directly attacked.

If any country dared to go nuclear on us, you can believe these countries and everyone in them would rapidly cease to exist.

There's a very good book called "The Curve of Binding Energy" which is basically a biography of the US's leading fission weapons designer, Ted Taylor. Gives some interesting insight into the kind of nuclear technology the US has in its arsenal, not in terms of yield, but in terms of ability to minutely control what happens at the point of detonation, shaped charges, etc...

Nuclear weapons are terrifing, more so than a lot of people realize, not because of the damage they can cause, but because of how easy they really are to build if you've got the fissionable material. With computers less sophisticated than a pocket calculator today, these things were built in the 40's... and almost two dozen were detonated before a single one failed. Hundreds of rockets failed before anything got into orbit. Rocket science is hard, nuclear science is easy.

Thats why the US is so up in arms about the remotest potential that these organizations or countries could have the material... because the concept of a "dirty bomb" is BS -- given a suitable amount of material, triggering an explosion is trivial. The physics is well publicised and understood today, unlike sixty years ago. The engineering may be hard, but again... two dozen worked before any didn't.

Taylor actually said in that book, which was written in 1974, that he expected terrorists would have and regularly use these weapons twenty years ago... and like everything else we'd grow to live with it. Lets all hope that world never comes to pass.
Old 02-12-2003, 01:43 PM
Elder Member

Default Also... KI pills protect against uptake of radioactive iodine, not generic "fallout products".

Its an issue when a reactor melts down, or when you are living in an area that has otherwise seen a detonation (Hiroshima/Nagasaki had that problem, so does much of the area downwind from Chernobyl)...

You don't get any out of a dirty bomb, and very little (with a very short half life) out of a normal bomb.

I remember reading a very good article about it either in the FDA or the NRC's website a while back.
Old 02-12-2003, 03:36 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default The only problem is that if a nuke is detonated, you can bet a country won't take responsiblity...

The terrorists will either not own up or claim that they acted alone, and the country will obviously not endorse their actions in a world forum. Who do we nuke then?
Old 02-12-2003, 05:59 PM
RR
AudiWorld Super User

Default Point taken...I wasn't all that serious. Just tweaking Lance about his worry priorities.

The fear of the car not running after being nuked is about in the same ballpark as worrying about the octane of gas available in hell after you cut a deal with the devil to bring your car along.

With 9/11, terrorists knocked down a single spot and killed ~3000 people. That's the horror that anyone could have expected, at least in retrospect, given the ways, means and goals of certain folks. The amount of pain that rippled against the world economy is a stunning after/side effect that I never heard anyone predict. If a nuke went off, you'd probably be eventually able to get an S4 for just a few oz. of gold or silver. The old game would be largely over and new prioritites would be prevelant.

Just my humble opinion. Hope we never find out if I'm right or wrong.
RR
Old 02-12-2003, 11:51 PM

Default Re: What parts of our S4's are susceptible to EMP damage besides the ECU?

You mean EMP? Electromagnetic Pulse, as in during the first milliseconds of the detonation of an atomic bomb? If so, all components in our Audis fail. None of them is EMP hardened. If you mean EMI/RFI I can tell you that the Driver Information System for sure is not. Mine had spurious and intermittent weird malfunctions with brand new radar detectors, and with my cell phone post amp. I had to insulate a wire bundle in the cross member of the dash and wrap aluminum foil around a few dashboard components to get rid of the problem.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

Ya well, One time at band camp I raced a EMP and I was way faster.