S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

When downshifting, is it okay to

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2003, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default When downshifting, is it okay to

put in a lower gear and slowly let out clutch until you feel the gear engage WITHOUT rev-matching? Does it depend how high the RPMS are? I find it a PITA to revmatch while trying to brake, and I like downshifting cuz I don't have to nail the brake as hard. Am I fvcking my clutch up?
Old 01-24-2003, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

It's not as easy on it, that's for sure... Learn how to Heel-Toe Downshift!
Old 01-24-2003, 10:52 AM
Maestro

you will wear your clutch fast if you keep doing that
Old 01-24-2003, 10:58 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default It's cheaper to replace brake pads and not so cheap to replace clutch....so use the brake!

and rev match too!
Old 01-24-2003, 11:48 AM

Default Brakes are for stopping; engine is for going.

Brakes exist to brake. Brake pads are easy and comparatively cheap to replace.

The clutch is much more involved and expensive to replace.

So, use your brakes for braking. Use your clutch for shifting. If you choose to downshift while braking--and there certainly are legitimate reasons to do so--then match your engine speed to road speed. This will reduce wear and tear on your clutch.

I got 148,000 miles out of my previous car's first clutch. The dealer was really impressed when I brought the car in for its first new clutch.

Doing what you describe every once in a while certainly won't hurt the car in the short term. However, doing so over and over again as a matter of habit will wear the clutch prematurely, and put stress on other engine and drivetrain parts as well.
Old 01-24-2003, 12:23 PM

Can you explain hohw to Heel-Toe Downshift for those of us that aren't in the know?
Old 01-24-2003, 12:50 PM

Default I think NASA racer posted a description w/ pics

but I'm too lazy to search for it for you.

To sum up: while braking (in a straight line) for an upcoming curve, put the clutch in and then roll your foot to the right to blip the throttle just before you let the clutch out. Then let off the brake and accelerate out of the turn.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:01 PM

Default simple explanation:

ps: double clutching is sorta the same thing, but without braking... I double clutch when i know i don't have to use the brakes if i just downshift.

here goes... (heel toe downshift)
say you're braking and you wanna downshift...
well, to downshift smoothly, without throwing off the balance of the car too badly (and being easy on the clutch)you're gonna want to heel toe
(by the way, i can't heel toe in an S4, even with my modded pedals)
what ya do is: with your foot on the brake - push in the clutch - disengage the shifter - use the side or heel or toe of your foot to "blip" the throttle (push the gas enough to get your rpm's as high as they would be in the gear you're downshifting to) - push in the clutch - engage the shifter into gear - and disengage the clutch.

you do pretty much all that while still on the brakes... then throttle out at the apex and let the car track out.
=)

double clutch downshifting: (what i do, cause i can - but still can't freakin heel toe)
same thing as above... cept you don't have to do this while braking.
your foot can be off the brake...
what ya do is: push in clutch - disengage shifter - "blip" the throttle - push in clutch - engage shifter - let clutch out
(this happens a LOT faster than you imagine - once you get good at it you'll do it without ever thinking about it - it becomes habit after awhile, like walking)
Old 01-24-2003, 01:23 PM

Amen.
Old 01-24-2003, 01:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you also want to preserve your synchros during down shifting, do what --->

---> seekNdestroy says, but also let the clutch out before blipping the engine in neutral, i.e. when it's time to shift:

1. disengage clutch
2. engage neutral
3. engage clutch. (MOST IMPORTANT. Without this, step 4 is defeated.)
4. rev engine to match speed for next (lower) gear
5. disengage clutch
6. shift
7. engage clutch

If this is done perfectly, the synchros are not even used. But, nobody being perfect, thanks for synchros.

BTW, by cutting a piece of ¼ " beaver board to shape (that brown stuff used also for peg boards), and bolting it to the gas pedal at the proper angle, professional heel & toe is possible.

Quick Reply: When downshifting, is it okay to