S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Who was saying Penske is better then Ohlins the other day?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Who was saying Penske is better then Ohlins the other day?

Here's a review from the "other" site...

"Penske's

I think it depends on the spring rates you want. I have 800f/1000r, and I don't think the valving is optimal for rough public streets. I think they need slightly less compression dampening and more rebound dampening. There is some bounciness/porpoising w/ 3 clicks from full stiff rebound (out of 25 clicks) on the fronts as well over "washboard" type freeway road surfaces.

I've been told that that is about as far as I should go on the rebound adjustments too (i.e. don't go to the highest rebound dampening of 0 clicks), but am doing some more research on that. Also, I haven't tried a lower spring rate, but i think the valving would be better suited to something like 700f/900r or thereabouts and some of the issues that I currently have would not be present at a lower spring rate.

I am of the mind that the range of dampening adjustability is not enough to cover the wide range of possible spring rates and probably multiple valving combinations should be available for lower vs. higher spring rates. Tomasz has told me that the valving was developed for 800f/1000r that I am running, but this is mostly or totally from input from Pat-SoCal who runs these shocks exclusively on the track so rough road issues are not a big concern.

There is the option for double adjustable to dial down the compression for $900, but then you're right in the Ohlins Motorsport territory or the version w/ 8100 front shocks, which haven't been totally dialled in for sale yet.

There is also a bit of noisiness from the rear over rough roads which may be from the metal spherical vs. rubber bushings, but this noisiness is also something that I've seen posted on AudiWorld regarding the Ohlin's set-up.

Don't get me wrong. I do feel these are a BIG step up from the TS suspension and I was looking for a solution to run higher spring rates, and I think the 800r springs I had on the TS were the top of the range that the Koni's, as valved, can handle.

I may try to tweak the shock valving. I may move from a double-digressive set-up to digressive compression and linear rebound to help boost the high-speed rebound dampening which is where the washboard issue I mentioned earlier may be solved.

Just my opinions. May want to solicit other Penske users to see their impressions."
Old 06-23-2006, 08:16 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I did. You should note some of the other points that I made.

I said that I think they are a better track product and that the Ohlins have the upper hand when it comes to road manners... but you probably didn't want to take the time to read through all that.

Not sure who wrote the original, but a lot of those problems can be overcome in a day of tweaking. I wouldn't recommend anyone run full stiff on the adjuster becuase it causes the nose pressure of the adjuster needle to be excessive which can result in wear and tear on the damper. I would also suggest that the user keep the double digressive rebound if he's looking for good street manners. Lots of ways to dial in some of the trouble spots the user is refering to. The noise from the back seems to be a common theme lately. Tomasz and I have ruled out mounting hardware as well as the sphericals; Ohlins seem to suffer from the same accounts of noise and rattles. Tomasz is looking into some simple changes that I think could yield good results. We actually spoke about this last night.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:19 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Nope wasn't you..... Don't get yourself in a hissy fit about nothing...

The post I remember reading earlier this week was that the Penskes were better in every situation not just on the track....

Original poster is drewski on Audizine otherwise known as AndrewC on here IIRC...<ul><li><a href="http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=105623">http://audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&amp;threadid=105623</a</li></ul>
Old 06-23-2006, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Yeah well... I'll get myself into whatever I want; hissy fit or other! :P

I would just like to keep things from being misinterpreted. The intraweb has a bad habbit of doing that.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It's your party and you'll cry if you want to cry if you want to.....

or should it be..

It's your product and you'll cry if you want to cry if you want to..... :P
Old 06-23-2006, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default It ain't mine, baby! I'm just here for the chicks.

and of course to aid in technical product support.
Old 06-23-2006, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

HAhaha. Well played
Old 06-23-2006, 09:50 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

so where is the chicks then dammit!?
Old 06-23-2006, 01:17 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default that was me, Pat. i just put them to full rebound recently based on

an e-mail from Tomasz saying it should be OK.

we probably should talk because i've been tweaking them for awhile and it's just not happening with this valving. especially if i need to dial back the rebound a few clicks.
Old 06-23-2006, 01:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Fvck off Fletcher.

Why don't you read my response instead of being such a tool......

Quick Reply: Who was saying Penske is better then Ohlins the other day?