S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Whose blue S4 was beaten by a CAMRY today in Phoenix?

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 10:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whose blue S4 was beaten by a CAMRY today in Phoenix?

I gotta gloat. I saw a blue S4 being driven aggresively thru traffic. A light ahead turned red, and I saw him gun for it, but I did the same and reached the only front row spot left before he did. So he ends up behind me, with a car next to me, so he can't use his huge traction advantage. When the light went green, I only used about half throttle, so that by the time we got past the car next to us, traction is not really an issue. Go ahead, call me a cheater. Anyway, I finally punch it at the top of 1st gear, but he stays with me. In 2nd, he's still on my bumper, but makes no attempt to use the next lanes (now clear) to pass. Now it's a matter of power/weight, and I have a little more hp and a little less weight. At the top of 2nd, I've gained a little bit. In third, I pull away, then let off the gas and tap the brake to let him know it's over. He lets off too, then passes with a REALLY sour look on his face. Then he makes a real fast right.

Now, I know someone here will say "yeah, if the road had some curves it would have been different", or "yeah, if that S4 could have lined up next to you...blah blah blah"', and they'd be right, but I feel great having beaten one of the best sedans in the world with a 2 door Camry. And somewhere out there is an S4 owner who accepted the disadvantageous starting position thinking he could win anyway. Think again, buddy.

I have 2000 Toyota Solara with a TRD supercharger and a few other mods.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:15 PM

"but makes no attempt to use the next lanes"--> Are you sure he was racing you?
Old 01-24-2002, 10:26 PM

Default I dunno. It was probably this guy...

<ul><li><a href="https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/106139.phtml">https://forums.audiworld.com/s4/msgs/106139.phtml</a</li></ul>
Old 01-24-2002, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I love how the supercharger was left out of the subject line.....

come on, dude....those Solara's are no slouch in stock form with the top line V6 in them....add a supercharger...and you are at what...250-270hp?

What type of hp are you making with the supercharger? Should be a decent match..against a STOCK S4......but bring on your modded Solara against my modded S4...we will see who pulls on who....
Old 01-24-2002, 10:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Congratulations, you are dA mAn!! I now want a Toyota Solara with a TRD Supercharger. Those OWN!
Old 01-24-2002, 10:37 PM

Default No, can't be sure, but...

...the race went the way I would expect it to go against a stock S4. A stock S4 (with traction my car can only dream of) would perform better off the line than my car. Since he was blocked by me, he could only match my acceleration at that point. Once we got to speeds where traction is not much of a factor, the car with the better hp/weight ratio would pull ahead (because I have more hp than a stock S4, and my car weighs about 300 pounds less). I pulled ahead a little in 2nd, more in 3rd.
You raise a good point though. If he had some mods (a chip maybe), then he could have been 'playing' with me. But if I had an S4 with mods, I wouldn't just 'play' with some guy in a Camry, I'd pass him so there's no doubt about who is quicker.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:44 PM

Default Sorry, I like to use the subject line as a "grabber".

Actually, in a fair race, with the S4 alongside instead of behind me, the S4 wouldn't need any mods to beat me. My fwd just won't hook up like an Audi. I'm making about 270hp.
Old 01-24-2002, 10:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 270 @ crank, I assume?

Are you running the "stock" pulley on the charger? My friend has a charged Tacoma and that thing is pretty dang fast for a truck...

-T
Old 01-24-2002, 10:46 PM

Gosh! (sniff) You're mean. (sob!)
Old 01-24-2002, 10:50 PM

Default I wouldn't pass a camry when I sense the camry wanna play..

and I have mods...

I simply let it go...because I have better way to use my gas...
LOL

Quick Reply: Whose blue S4 was beaten by a CAMRY today in Phoenix?