S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Why can't we all just get along (M3 vs S4)

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2001, 06:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Why can't we all just get along (M3 vs S4)

I owned a Euro S4 (265 bhp) & a Euro M3(321 bhp) together for over a year. I don't feel that you can compare the 2 & say that one is better than the other.

The S4 is a sporty sedan while the M3 is a 4 seater sports car. The difference might be subtle but its there. The M3 is the car you take out if you want to drive on a mountain pass in anger. You take the S4 out if you're going to visit the folks (No offence). Dad will probably give you a disapproving frown if he sees an M3 anyway.

The S4 is much easier to drive in stop-go traffic &, because of the mountain of mid-range torque, is more driveable in the city. However, if you are going on the highway, then the M3 is the way to go. My E36 M3 would run away from my S4 above 60 mph. The E36 Euro M3 did 0-60 in 5.3, 0-100 in 12.2 & 1/4 mile in 13.5. But no numbers can explain the difference at higher speeds. The M3 gets quicker the faster you go. My brother has a Porsche 996 Carrera & between 120 & 160 I pull about 2 car lengths on him, even if he responds first.

However, I don't feel that you can say a car is better just because its faster. If that's the case then the Z06 would be a better car than the M3( if you can live with the plastic fantastic interior, the irritating gearbox whine at low speed, the 'cheap car' wind noise from the frameless door windows at high speeds, the agricultural gearbox ....)
Old 04-02-2001, 07:11 AM

Default Both are great cars...it's simply a question of priorities.

Assuming in either case one simply has to have a sedan (otherwise, why would one get one of these, when for the same money one could get several faster, better handling sports cars), then the choice hinges upon whether one puts a higher premium on speed and handling or practicality and luxury.

Speed and handling, stock to stock, the new M3 is the winner. One can chip the S4 and stiffen the suspension a bit to close this gap and still save a bundle (at least here in the US, mate), but the chip is a warranty no-no...

If, otoh one wants excellent speed and handling, but doesn't have to be the fastest sedan on the block, then one can (as I did) opt for the S4, and have the more-pampering environment of the Audi, still have tons of fun behind the wheel, and save a bundle.

I still intend to drive the E46 M3 at some point, but I'm not in any rush. Before I got the S4, I seriously considered hanging onto my last car another year or so and waiting for the M3, but once I actually spent some time behind the wheel of the 328ci and the S4, I decided that even with the performance of the E46 M3, the S4 was a better choice for me; otherwise, I'd be on that M3 wait list.

But again: different people have different priorities. The thing that annoys me is that many criticize Audi for simply not making the S4 an M3 clone. I don't *want* an M3 clone; I want something different; otherwise, I'd have simply gotten the M3. I don't *want* a more highly-tuned, stiffer suspension than the S4 has stock, because the S4's suspension is about as stiff as I can stand in a street car. Yes, this sacrifices in the handling department, but it handles terrifically as is, and I'm willing to make that tradeoff. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't like it to be a bit faster, but I really don't spend that much time at WOT, and realistically speaking, it's more than fast enough already.

Anyway, when weighing out my options, I made what I felt was the correct decision, and I still do, just as I'm sure that you made the correct decision for you. Both of these cars are better in certain areas than the other, and as I said, it's a question of priorities. The great thing is that the competition has brought some killer cars to the forefront as of late, and will continue to do so, which is good for all of us.

Enjoy your ride, mate!
Old 04-02-2001, 07:15 AM

Default What's the difference in price?

The American S4 is about $40k, right?

What does the M3 run? And what is the difference between the American M3 and the European one?
Old 04-02-2001, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default ...and economics and exclusivity and attitude and...

Before I bought the S4, I actually considered the M5. All of the dealers I contacted (in southern California) said that all M5's were basically made to order. There was only one in town that I could even sit in, much less drive. All of the dealers were charging a minimum of 25k over sticker. That's $90,000 for a car that I couldn't even test drive. I knew the M3 was a few months away, but assuming it carried the same ridiculous cache of the M5, I looked elsewhere. The S4 may not have the exclusivity of the BMW, but the performance numbers were close enough for a non-club racer like myself, and I felt the interior was superior in taste and comfort. Couple that with the fact that BMW makes you feel that it deals in rare exotics and could care less for your business, the decision to buy the Audi was a no-brainer. BMW makes some of the world's great cars, but as long as they come with such an enormous amount of baggage, ownership will still be the domain of folks that will tolerate such BS for the sake of curb appeal.
Old 04-02-2001, 09:26 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Default maybe because some of us are totally disinterested in the E46 and don't care to read about it...

I'm MUCH more interested in the WRX and Evo because they have gizmos that I find interesting.

I already have a VTEC, don't need or care about one with a $55k markup.

Why is this so hard to understand, I consider the E46 to be a German C5 vette and am no more interested in it than that.

Take it off topic, it's BORING BORING BORING.
Old 04-02-2001, 10:42 AM

Default Answers:

1) the difference in price (US pricing):

Here are standard features on S4 which are optional on E46 M3:
Xenon HID headlights
Headlight washers
Metallic paint
Auto-dimming outside mirrors (? inside only listed on order sheet; typo?)
Automatic climate control
In-dash CD player
Nappa leather interior (Nappa/cloth seats standard; full Nappa interior extra)
Power seats
4 year/50000 mile full maintanence (3/36 std)

To get these, you'll need to order:

Base E46 M3 coupe: $46,500 ($45,500 + $1000 gas guzzler tax)
Nappa leather interior: $1100
In-dash CD: $200
Xenon headlights: $500
Metallic paint: $475
Power Seat package: $1200
Total: $49,975
Base price of 2001 S4: $38,900
Difference: $11,075

Here are standard features on S4 which are unavailable on E46 M3:
Full-sized spare with alloy wheel
Wood trim for interior
All wheel drive :-)

2) Yes, the American S4 is about $40K; $38,900 is the base price (which is pretty loaded; there are actually only a few options for the S4)...

3) We don't know what the M3 runs. All tests I've seen are of cars provided by BMW, so the jury's still out until we see production tests. I suspect that 1/4 times of production versions will be around 13.5, possibly a tenth or so faster. (If you meant "run" as in "What does it cost", that's covered above).

4) the American M3 does not get the cross-drilled ceramic brakes of the Euro version, nor 19" rims. Option packages are a bit different.
Old 04-02-2001, 10:59 AM
Elder Member

Hmmm...the baggage you speak of is more likely a California thing. Never any such probs. 4 me.