S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

why are people confused when tracking their car breaks it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2000, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default why are people confused when tracking their car breaks it?

i don't know about you, but when i drive my car(s) at the track, i'm using them just as hard as i use my race cars. sometimes even harder if the sessions are 45-60 minutes. (sessions at SCCA races are only 20-30 minutes long)

that being the case, why do people seem confused when their car(s) fall apart? i expect 1-2 engine rebuilds a year. maybe a transmission. almost definetly the brake system (calipers, master cylinder, etc) every rubber suspension part. all at least once a year. brake rotors last maybe a month. etc...

if you track your car 1-2 times a month, this is what you should expect. probably even worse since your street car is not "set up" like a race car to widthstand the abuse...
Old 10-26-2000, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Super User

i also wonder if anyone worries about oil starvation in high G turns while running r-comps.
Old 10-26-2000, 01:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Interesting point. M5 is the only "street" car I know of that addresses this issue.
Old 10-26-2000, 01:35 PM

Default Ltw M3 also had dual oil pickups and baffled

oil pan for this reason.

Stupid thing costs about 1200$ though.

Peter Hsu
Old 10-26-2000, 01:58 PM

Default Because race cars are usually setup at or close to their limit hence it is expected for them to

fail after time. A commercial car is usually setup way below it's "limit" so as to insure longevity over most driving conditions. Modded cars are another story altogether ...
Old 10-26-2000, 01:59 PM
Elder Member

New M3 also has some modifications to the sump design to accomodate oil motion at high G's.
Old 10-26-2000, 02:15 PM
wmv

Default Porsche used a dry sump with a 3 impeller oil pump just to address this issue....

the new 996 with wet sump has poblems in this area. Owners have been advised not to use R compound rubber. The GT3 and 996 tt both use the older style block with dry sump(somewhat modified) to adddress this problem.
Old 10-26-2000, 02:40 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Totally disagree.

First road cars are designed to run much longer. That is why the S4 has 250HP vs 600. If tracked they should last much longer than race cars.

If tracked they will wear faster - tires, suspensions, brakes. But no, I do not expect to loose a tranny or rebuild an engine after 12 sessions.

If Audi cars can't take it, we will upgrade to Porsches and BMW's.
Old 10-26-2000, 02:40 PM

Default this works both ways

the suspension of a race car uses metal bushings, or at least stronger polyurathane or stronger rubber bushings. the brake pads, and tires are made to last longer. the motor mounts are stronger. there's extra cooling ducts all over. the fluids are changed after every day (or even every run) the fluids used are better, etc, etc, etc...

in fact... for SCCA type racing (the only kind i've actually participated in) i'd say 80% of the "mods" done to a car to make it a race car are mods to make it last longer, not mods to make it go faster.

given that. i'd expect a street car to have MORE problems falling apart at the track, rather then less.

you might not have engine problems (except for turbos) but all your other parts (transmission, clutch, suspension, brakes, bushings, etc...) are gonna fall apary FASTER on a street car.
Old 10-26-2000, 02:42 PM

Default well my M3s engine was rebuilt 4 times in the 5 years i tracked it. you'll see...

if you track any street car, you're gonna pay MORE to keep it up, compared to a race car, rather then less.

Quick Reply: why are people confused when tracking their car breaks it?