S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

whyyy/?? stalled while driving wont start till engine is cold!

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2009, 09:22 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whyyy/?? stalled while driving wont start till engine is cold!

I ALREADY POSTED THIS BUT ITS REALLY BUGGING ME TO NOT BE ABLE TO DRIVE THIS CAR/......ON A DAILY BASIS!!!

so i had a few ????? to start its an 01.5 s4 and it has been chiped with GIAC software and i want to be able to hook my laptops serial port up to my car and i'm not sure what wire i should be looking for?????

i now i can get the GIAC flashloader but is that just for switching between programs??? is it possible to read/delete codes and perform diagostics test with this flashloader??? if not what should i be looking to get i already have the GIAC software on my laptop i just need the wire.

what should i use to be able to perform diagnostics test i really need to get to the bottom of this problem??????

i'd like something that i could use while driving so when the car stalls i can find out whats causeing the problem their is no CEL when this happens the car just studders then dies while driving, also when stoped at idle, if i try start the car again it just keeps turning over but will not fire intill car is cooled down then it spudders to start...can the car still throw codes even with no CEL on???

theres 120k on it and i just replaced spark plugs and fuel filter and i leaky valve gasket but it still seems to bee burning oil from under the drivers side valve gasket.

or can i just use a simple obdII scanner from autozone to save time and money or is that just for CEL??

if anyone has any ideas let me know ive searched almost every thread.
Old 10-03-2009, 11:12 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

You should really take your car to a local indipendant shop.

Have them check the crank sensor as already stated. They should have an occiloscope and be able to check this.

You need a scanning tool to read the codes, you can have codes without a CEL. Autozone can read the codes for you, they will only be able to read you engine related codes however.
Old 10-04-2009, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

I bought the Ross Tech VCDS and interface cable (~$225) which is good for both reading codes and basic logging (ECUx is apparently a much better logging tool).
Old 10-04-2009, 03:24 PM
AudiWorld Super User

He needs to physically check the voltages/waveform to check if it is the crank sensor.

If it strait up dies while running, then restarts then dies than restarts. It is the best place to start checking off his list.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by timmy2tyme
I ALREADY POSTED THIS BUT ITS REALLY BUGGING ME TO NOT BE ABLE TO DRIVE THIS CAR/......ON A DAILY BASIS!!!

so i had a few ????? to start its an 01.5 s4 and it has been chiped with GIAC software and i want to be able to hook my laptops serial port up to my car and i'm not sure what wire i should be looking for?????

i now i can get the GIAC flashloader but is that just for switching between programs??? is it possible to read/delete codes and perform diagostics test with this flashloader??? if not what should i be looking to get i already have the GIAC software on my laptop i just need the wire.

what should i use to be able to perform diagnostics test i really need to get to the bottom of this problem??????

i'd like something that i could use while driving so when the car stalls i can find out whats causeing the problem their is no CEL when this happens the car just studders then dies while driving, also when stoped at idle, if i try start the car again it just keeps turning over but will not fire intill car is cooled down then it spudders to start...can the car still throw codes even with no CEL on???

theres 120k on it and i just replaced spark plugs and fuel filter and i leaky valve gasket but it still seems to bee burning oil from under the drivers side valve gasket.

or can i just use a simple obdII scanner from autozone to save time and money or is that just for CEL??

if anyone has any ideas let me know ive searched almost every thread.
How long ago was it chipped? You might try swapping another ECU in to see if that helps: some time ago I had similar symptoms as you and it turned out to be a faulty chip installation (bad socket or cracked solder joint).

Rory
Old 10-05-2009, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You can also check for this (some times) with opening up the ecu, and then once it dies you can spray electronics duster onto the ecu board.

This will cool down the ECU and (hopefully) allow the faulty joint to come back into contact. It's not fool proof, but it can help as a tool.
Old 10-05-2009, 08:36 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

it was chipped at 65,000 w/GIAC ill be sure to check to see if theirs any loose ends . at about $600 dollars a chip you'd think it'd be installed right!!

i have 120,000 miles 0on it now and i noticed there was no heat the other day so i need to check the temp sensors if there is a way? or just replace them.

the first time my car started giving me crap was when i was real low on gas and i stop to fill up and when i tryed to start it and it wouldnt fire.

i;m not sure if that could have ant thing to do with it but i already change the fuel filter but it did nothing.

and i still need to get a VAG-cable that will be compatible with giac software to run diagnostics on the car when this problem occurs to see if any codes show even though there is no CEL.
Old 10-05-2009, 09:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

and i still need to get a VAG-cable that will be compatible with giac software to run diagnostics on the car when this problem occurs to see if any codes show even though there is no CEL.
Can you please elaborate on this?

I don't get what the giac chip has to do with the VAG cable.
Old 10-05-2009, 05:54 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

because someone had aske if it was chipped,

and the about the VAG cable i need to find out which cable will be compatible with GIAC or does it not even matter wat chip you have i just need it to run diagnostics to find out what is wrong with my dirty german!
Old 10-06-2009, 04:48 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

because someone had aske if it was chipped,

and the about the VAG cable i need to find out which cable will be compatible with GIAC or does it not even matter wat chip you have i just need it to run diagnostics to find out what is wrong with my dirty german!
VAG is compatible with all the chips I'm aware of. You'll be fine for GIAC.

The problem with chips is with the installation: the vendors making the chips do their job ok, but normally a third party shop installs them on the ECU, and the quality of the work is variable.

You can ask on your local (geographic) forum to see if anyone near you has a VAG com you can use.

Rory

Quick Reply: whyyy/?? stalled while driving wont start till engine is cold!