S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Will a speeding ticket from Ohio go on my record in Illinois?

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2003, 07:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a speeding ticket from Ohio go on my record in Illinois?

I got pulled over in Linndale, Ohio (near Cleveland) for going 78 in a 60 zone. Will this go on my record and increase my premiums? I've heard of contesting tickets from out of state where you get your moving violation changed to a non-moving violation. The cities do this because they get more money and then it's good for me because it doesn't go on my record. Anybody know about this? Thanks for any suggestions or ideas!
Old 03-09-2003, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I don't know, but Lindale is by far the easiest city in Ohio to get a ticket in
Old 03-09-2003, 08:01 AM

From my experience I don't think it will, but I would call to double check.
Old 03-09-2003, 08:37 AM
RKA
AudiWorld Uber User

Default Isn't this the city in Ohio that Car and Driver did a story on (10 years back)?

Ohio is pretty bad in general, but the town car and driver highlighted was sending local police out to write tickets in the interstate. They had lowered the speed limit in *their* town, and used that lowered speed limit as a speed trap, and as a major source of income for the town.
Old 03-09-2003, 09:09 AM

Default Re: Will a speeding ticket from Ohio go on my record in Illinois?

Even if the points don't appear on your Illinois driving record, your insurance company will still be made aware of the speeding ticket.
Old 03-09-2003, 10:19 AM
gr

Default See if this still works...

I got a speeding ticket in Ohio (state trooper) the day after I bought my S4... so a little over two years ago now. Per a tip from a friend, I payed the ticket by mail, but over paid it. i.e. I owed like $100 and sent them a check for $110. They sent me a refund check, I never cashed it, it never went into the comupter apparently, because it definitely never made it on to my MVR (motor vehicle record) and my insurance company never found out about it. I know for a fact it never hit my MVR because my dad is my insurance agent and he checks it for me every once in a while.

I've also tried to go to court in Ohio for a speeding ticket, they feel that speeding tickets are part of the state's income and are very, very proud of them - that whole system is disgusting there, you won't get out of it. Ohio is one of the worst chunks of land in the world, I wish I didn't have to drive throgh it 8-10 times a year to drive home to Pittsburgh from Chicago!
Old 03-09-2003, 11:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I support this!

Apparently, this works in Washington as well. This is obviously anectdotal, but my GF's dad has a friend in the DMV and she has told him that this is exactly how it works in WA - if you never cash the refund check, they can't complete the ticket's processing. Important to me, since my little red TT isn't exactly invisible to the cops. Two tickets in the past 60 days.
Old 03-09-2003, 11:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default 78, that's it ? :P

bummer man
Old 03-09-2003, 03:58 PM
zon

Default urban legend, they've fixed the loop hole like 10 years ago, it works because

IL point system is different.
Old 03-09-2003, 04:00 PM
zon

Default depends..

IL works a little different, they go by record counts, if you have 3 moving violations in a year then your premium goes up. and out of state wise, i think you are lucky, cuz IL is one of the states thats NOT linked nation wide. so basically, you are clear.

Quick Reply: Will a speeding ticket from Ohio go on my record in Illinois?