S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Windshield Woes!

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-2005, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Windshield Woes!

I recently purchased a 2001 S-4. The front windshield was replaced by the previous owner. The windshield that was installed is made by XYG and is part number FW 2262.
I spoke to the previous owner and he told me that the windshield leaked and that wind noise increased dramatically after the install.
The windshield is no longer leaking, but the wind noise on the highway is very disturbing. I see that there are gaps at the top of the windshield on both sides between the molding and the glass. The gap is much bigger on the right side and subsequently that is where most of the wind noise seems to be coming from.
I have read alot of previous posts on the subject of improperly fitting windshields. Especially along the top sides where mine has the gaps.
How can this be so screwed up? I guess we can add XYG glass #FW 2262 to the list of improperly fitting windshields for our cars.
Is there a properly sized windshield available? Some have said that the PPG will fit others say not? What brand of glass does Audi use as OE and is it available and at what price?
Old 08-28-2005, 05:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I tried PPG and ultimately went back to OEM because of distortion. (more)

Make sure they have all the little rubber parts, ends and strips installed - may even need to install the spacers as well if an idiot is doing it! I had a reputable place do an install and they still missed the $1.50 ends on the strip across the top. Took a parts blowup and picture to them and they corrected - works great looks like factory and is quiet
Old 08-28-2005, 06:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Re: I tried PPG and ultimately went back to OEM because of distortion. (more)

Where did you get your OEM windshield? What brand and part number is on the windshield? Did you have the dealer or a glass shop do the install? What did the job cost? Where did you get the parts blow up picture from? May be one of the parts is missing on my car thus the gaps along the sides.
Thanks,
Tom
Old 08-30-2005, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Parts blow up from the dealer, dealer ordered glass that Safelite installed (insurance claim)

Had the glass replaced once for pitting (insurance claim 2 yrs ago). Thats where I tried the PPG and then had it immediatley replaced with OEM. 2 months ago had a small chip on the way to an appointment that turned into a huge crack in the heat of the day (should have left windows open?). That brought about second change to OEM. On the second change I didn't think things looked right so went to the dealer and got the parts blowup to confirm it and ordered the pieces. All the difference in the world.... Most good glass guys would say they don't need the spacers between the glass and the body, but do need all the small pieces of trim rubber. The dealer can give you two cut sheets that show the components/trim pieces. Hope this helps!