S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Winter is coming! - installation of oil pan heater

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2004, 09:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine block heaters that heat via the coolant cannot be used in the S4.

Proheat's performance claims seem pretty good. 6 quart sump from -40F to +60F in two hours.

And in fact, I did read somewhere that they claim that if it is left on for a long period it will heat the whole engine block. I've not tested it in the cold yet so I don't know how true these claims are.

Stephen
Old 10-12-2004, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I think any heat will help with the turn over of the engine..

in cold weather. It's certainly better than nothing.
Hugh
Old 10-12-2004, 09:38 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default You can also get external block heaters that clamp on the side

of the block (the effect is similar). But in any case, I find it hard to believe that using the oil to distribute heat will work effectively. Oil lines in a car are considerably smaller than the pipes used to distribute radiator fluid, so I'd guess you'll end up with a warm oil pan and nothing else. But that's just my opinion.

Good luck
Rory
Old 10-12-2004, 09:46 AM
Audiworld Sponsor

Default Even if it doesn't heat the engine, just the fact that the oil in the pan isn't a -20F (or whatever)

is a benefit. Think about how long it takes for the oil to warm up (particularly on a subzero day). Certainly can't hurt to preheat it even just a little bit, IMO.

-Dave Pramanik
Old 10-12-2004, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default I agree, anything will help, I was just pointing out that in climates colder than New England

different approaches are used.

Rory

PS I hate winter. :P
Old 10-12-2004, 09:54 AM
Audiworld Sponsor

Default Winter is only fun for the first few snowstorms when you get to take quattro out and play... :)

After that, it gets old fast.

-Dave Pramanik
Old 10-12-2004, 10:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Never got old or me last winter ... but then I never stopped going out to play! :-p
Old 10-12-2004, 10:12 AM
Audiworld Sponsor

When there's no fresh snow and its BITTER cold, thats when winter wears on me.
Old 10-12-2004, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I guess there are three issues on heating ...

1) the battery temp -- a cold battery doesn't produce as much power.
2) the oil temp -- cold oil is thick and doesn't circulate as easily.
3) the clearances of the engine parts -- the different metals expand at different rates and when it is really cold out the clearances can be reduced or eliminated.

The oil pan heater does nothing for the battery temp. If I lived in a really cold climate then I would install a heated battery blanket.

The oil pan heater will not heat the oil which is elsewhere in the engine such as in the turbos or lines. But it will heat the oil immediately in the oil pan and this is where the oil pump is too. So there will be thick oil in the engine when you crank it but you should get oil circulating much more immediately and that oil will already be heated.

The clearances on the parts will only be helped to the extent that the heat rises from the oil pan and heats the remainder of the engine. Obviously heat does rise and the heat that comes out of the oil probably will go into the block. How much heat and how warm is something I will be interested to discover myself.

With airplanes, the practice is to use an oil pan heater to heat the oil and small heaters on the cylinder jugs to heat the cylinders. Heating all of the engine would obviously be ideal. But Most important, I think, is to get a good flow of oil to the bearings and turbos as quickly as possible.

Anyway, in the end the proof will be in the pudding. I wait to see how effective the heater rally is under real winter conditions. I'll let you know how it works out. :-)

Stephen
Old 10-12-2004, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Super User

You're getting old DAP. :-pppp

Quick Reply: Winter is coming! - installation of oil pan heater