S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Wipers not shutting off! Any idea what might be causing this?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2007, 05:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wipers not shutting off! Any idea what might be causing this?

Sometimes when I move the wiper lever to the "off" position, my wipers just keep on going. To get them to finally turn off I have to go through a couple cycles of turning them on, then off again.

This just started happening recently. I live in Pennsylvania, and it has been pretty cold here recently. Not sure if that is a factor or not?

I STFA'd but didn't find anyone having the same problem. Any ideas on what might be causing this?

Thanks!
Old 02-24-2007, 05:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Relay? That's a strange problem. Perhaps try pushing all the way down until it the lever stops

It will initiate a manual swipe but then it should return back to "off". See what happens.
Old 02-24-2007, 05:58 PM

Default I've tried that too, but that still doesn't stop them. Was thinking it might be the relay too..

Guess I'll need to figure out where the relay is, and replace it.
Old 02-24-2007, 06:01 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

My car was doing this a couple weeks ago It stopped now but I found out it could be the wiper motor
Old 02-24-2007, 06:19 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Wouldn't it more likely be the electrics that controls the motor?
Old 02-24-2007, 08:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default What I could find out was there is also relay on the motor that could cause it; I won't know until

I actually replace it, but with it working now I don't see that happening anytime soon.
Old 02-24-2007, 08:13 PM

Default I think it might be the wiper switch....

One night it was way below freezing here, and after I cleared the ice off the windshield i flicked the switch down once for a single wipe, and it kept on wiping when returning to the neutral position. Couldn't get it to stop for a couple of mins of switching up and down through the various modes, then it got better by itself. perhaps the contacts inside the switch get some condensation on them, are really cold, and freeze?
Old 02-25-2007, 04:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default There is an indexing switch within the motor ...(click to read more than you want to know)

This "tells" the motor to stop when the wipers are in the down position.

Unless the actual wiper stalk is sticking, or the relay or timer moduel is defective, chances are that the motor is at fault.

First off: Does this happen only when you squirt the windshield washer fluid, or does it occur with any position of the wiper stalk? This is critical in diagnosis, since there is a relay that signals the motor to run for a few seconds after you have released winshield washer squirt mode.

Here's another thing to try. Next time it is very cold, and you think that the problem is going to happen again, do this:

Before you put the key in the ignition, grab both wiper arms and manually pull them up the windshield slightly. This will put the motor out of index, and, as soon as you turn the ignition on, the motor will want to return to home position. It should go through one full sweep and stop. If it does, good, if it continues to run, then you have just finished diagnosing the problem. Replace the motor.

Lastly, I'm not certain if you can diagnose the switch portion using VAG-COM, but, if so, that's great (I know you can do it with the window switches, not sure about others).

Hope this helps. Alternately, you can do the same thing that most shops would probably do, that is, start replacing parts until the problem is fixed (can get kind of expensive).
Old 02-25-2007, 08:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Very informative, thanks for taking the time to post.
Old 02-25-2007, 04:32 PM

Default Thanks for the info. It sometimes happens even when I don't use the washer fluid...

But I have been using lots of washer fluid lately, and I do know that after squirting washer fluid the wipers run for a few seconds. But sometimes they KEEP running, which causes the winshield to get smeared, and I have to clean it again.

I guess the next time I take my car in for service I'll have the techs take a look. I was hoping to avoid the costly "replace parts until the problem goes away" approach. But this problem is pretty annoying and I'm willing to spend some money to have it go away.

Quick Reply: Wipers not shutting off! Any idea what might be causing this?