S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

X-1 Intake size and shape.

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2006, 03:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Correct me if I'm wrong but I heard " no patents pending" .

If he does have a patent and he no longer wants
to produce them then he could license someone who
can produce them under contract.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:43 PM

Default He doesnt make it anymore and people need them.

I dont know him but it sucks for people like me who want one but cant get their hands on one. What's he losing if I try to make one for myself and some for other people if my design works out well? If you don't wanna give me any info, thats fine, but I'm not trying to compete with him or anything. I'm just trying to help people that will do anything to get their hands on one so they arent sucking in pure engine heat.
Old 11-22-2006, 03:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Ok like I said...it's an ITG filter that's "sealed" when the hood is closed. I still don't see why

people spend that amount of money on an intake. My point is that when you're dealing with that amount of money, it can be spent in other ways that'll give you a hell of a larger gain than a intake ever would.

I'd much rather pick up something like a meth injection kit. Get my point?
Old 11-22-2006, 03:57 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I understand...consider this...

I am not saying you shouldn't try to do it...nor am I saying you should try to get your hands one for R&D. More power to you if you can...

A few years ago there was another product that was developed for the AW community. The originator stopped providing them for a number of reasons.

I wasn't able to get my hands on one because, like the X1 those who had it, coveted it and weren't about to sell one or even lend me one. So I started from scratch and figured out how to do it.

Interestingly enough, the originator then rejoined the community and he and I discussed my making them. He felt that my design was on par with what he was producing and wasn't really looking to continue making them, so with his blessing I took over.

Point being...it would have been easy to just copy his design. I didn't. I made my own and added a few modifications and enhancements.

If you can do the same then I congratulate you. If yours is better than Jon's, I might just ask to buy one from you!
Old 11-22-2006, 03:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I highly doubt it's patented...and besides when have intellectual property rights ever been

protected in these types of applications?
Old 11-22-2006, 04:03 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default I can only assume your talking about the V1 display...which when you look at yours vs. toyguys

is pretty much the exact same thing. Same concept and design - and i'm sure if toyguy never created it in the first place he would have never paved the way for you to start making your own...and making money in the process.

So what's so bad about some guy trying to replicate the design of an intake? I don't see him trying to profit off it...just make his car better.

I don't mean to come off as harsh or a dick, but no one protects intellectual property when it comes to these small independent run products. Maybe out of respect some will, but it's not going to stop anyone from doing it.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:11 PM

Default I understand what you're saying too, and I wish I had the time to do all that work.

However, my first priority is to get one for myself. I mean, if I could get my hands on an X-1 I wouldnt even bother trying to make one, but I have finally accepted the fact that I can't get my hands one so I figured I'd make my own. If I am able to make my own, I might as well help other people out that are in my shoes and maybe even make a few bucks off of it. Fact of the matter is, I have no time, I am a full time college student and I have a part time job and seeing as I am away from home/my garage for most of the year, I dont have a lot of time to do the R&D. I'm not asking for the ins and outs of it, but maybe a few pointers and tips to get me on the right track. Again, I totally respect your decision if you don't wanna give me info in respect to Jon but I'm not trying to rip anyone off or anything; in the end I just really really dont want to be sucking in engine heat anymore.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:13 PM

Exactly, and I wouldnt even want to try to make one if I could buy one.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Point made... I don't agree 100%

You are putting all the value of the X1 design solely on performance gains. I am totally with performance gains but since there has NEVER been any documented performance gain why does everyone want one?

Not every mod or owner is 100% about performance. There are half a dozen posts here in half as many days about non-performance mods...wheels, cf interior trim, alcantara...yadda yadda. There are some crack heads (said with all due respect) here that drop over a grand for pretty CF interior trim!! Now that is rediculous!

I have had the EVO and the DarIntake and I prefer the X1. The rev's are smoother; the sweet spot in the rpm's is fatter; the theory is perfectly valid; the sound is tamer; and the look is a 1000 times better.

This said, there are some people here who can afford the CF intake <b>and</b> the meth injection kit...If I could only afford one mod..it might not be the X1-Racer Intake. nor would it be the meth injection. I guess that's my point.
Old 11-22-2006, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default If you read my response I said there isn't anything wrong with trying to do it..

I don't think you're being a dick at all...I understand your point.

I know the highs and lows Jon went through and yes..it is out of respect.

Like I said, if someone takes the X1 and improves it I would be one of the first people to buy it... If it works, looks good and makes me feel good it's worthy of my money.

It's just a respect thing.

As far as the V1..I collected every picture I could find. Scaled it out...tried four different housing designs...milled, then cast. Tried no less than ten different button designs..then created numerous new mounting locations, and developed the design for the B6/B7, All-Road and the RS's...

I did exactly what I am describing he do...if he makes one and improves it he deserves to benefit and I would probably want one. I just don't think something lake that should just be handed to someone. I guess it's my up-bringing.

Quick Reply: X-1 Intake size and shape.