S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Xenon HIDs??

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-1999, 09:21 AM
Grant

Default Xenon HIDs??

I just purchased the first S4 in Hawaii. Love the car. The only thing I was disappointed about ( and this is being very petty) was that the Xenon HIDs did not look like the typical HIDs. They started out with a nice white/blue light, but later turned white/yellow after about 10-15 seconds. The lights are extremely bright, but they just look like normal beam projectors and do not have that distinct white/blue look found on many Lexus' and BMWs. Do I need to get mine adjusted or fixed? I would appreciate any feedback from any S4 owners who have experienced the same thing.
Old 11-30-1999, 09:39 AM
Tristan

mine seem MORE blue than other xenons I've seen on Lexus, Mercedes, Acura, Porsche.
Old 11-30-1999, 09:41 AM
Amro

Default Re: Xenon HIDs??

Mine always start of bluish and then turn to a bright white with blue edges. One good check is to turn on your high beams. They're definately yellow. Check for contrast.

Amro
Old 11-30-1999, 10:16 AM
Johannes Erdfelt

Default I lined my car up with a 5-series and the bimmers is more white/yellow

They both had the same abrupt cutoff, but whereas the Audi went from white to blue, the BMW went from white to yellowish.

Looking front on, the Audi definately has a blue look to it depending on the angle.
Old 11-30-1999, 10:20 AM
Another Drew

Default That's the way mine are.

There's an advantage to having them appear yellow. I'm not possitive about this but the S4's probably have a higher color rendering index (CRI) than the bluish xenon. A higher CRI means that colors that you see coming from objects illuminated by your xenons will appear to be truer to the real color.

Yeah, a bluish tint might be nice so that others know that I drive a car with xenons, but if our xenons put out a broader spectrum of colors (thus appearing whiter rather than blue), it'll probably work better in fog and rain, so i'll choose to have the S4's xenons. The broader spectrum will cut through the fog better than just blue.

Drew
Old 11-30-1999, 11:23 AM
Paul B

Default Were you parked in the Ilikai garage?

Just spent 16 days on Honolulu on business. I saw a black S4 in the Ilikai garage on two occasions. The only other current Audi model I say was a TT.
Old 11-30-1999, 12:39 PM
Silver S4

If you see an oncoming S4 / A4 with Xenon's they are distincly blue. It looks diff. from the cabin
Old 11-30-1999, 03:37 PM
Grant

Default Re: Were you parked in the Ilikai garage?

When was this? I just picked up my black S4 on Monday, but it arrived on Wednesday the week before. I purchased it on Friday. Hope someone else wasn't driving my car over the weekend. It is supposed to be the first S4 on the island.