S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Xeons and people pulling over for me. ???

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2001, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Xeons and people pulling over for me. ???

A really cool Phenomenon. (note: I live in the New Mexico rockies, and there are a ****load of Texans here that like to marvel at the trees and rocks while driving) I've noticed that people tend to pull over for me when I have my Xeons on. Now, when I had the 328i, people would pull over for me just because it was a bimmer. (Ive found that it's thought among most people that ALL bimmers are fast as hell and you should let them go by.) Well, when I sold the 328i and moved on to the S4, people stopped pulling over for me. It was my biggest complaint about the car. Well, I started driving with the Xeons on and people just started pulling over for me on the staightaways of HIGHWAYS and through twisting cayons. Dead straight for miles and in a double passing zone, and 4 texans pulled over for me! (that never happened to me with the bimmer)And through the cayons, it's great, slow moving Bubas that would never budge for me before, would pull over and let me go by with the Xeons on.
Anyone else have this happen to them? The only thing I can think of is that they mistake me for a cop. My car is black, and so are the State Police units.
Old 09-25-2001, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It's great and sometimes it works! enjoy it!
Old 09-25-2001, 01:29 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default it has happened to me a few times....

....but not lately...and usually people seemed pissed when they pulled over...
the brightness of the hid's must have pissed them off enough to where they just wanted to get outta the way :-) doesnt happen much anymore as a lot more people have hid's now...

David White
00 Silver S4 (with goodies)
Old 09-25-2001, 01:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Hey Mork from Ork, do you mean Xenons?
Old 09-25-2001, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Xenons are as common as a house fly here in So Cal... so no.
Old 09-25-2001, 02:48 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Xeons still are new here, cops give me tons of crap about them.
Old 09-25-2001, 03:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default "Why there sonny, what are them there new fangled purple lights urall usin?...

...Them there things will half blind a man after a hard day of work on the range. Can't yous rig up a couple of flash lights for god sake?" :-)
Old 09-25-2001, 05:06 PM
AudiWorld Expert

Default It's because of the beam cutoff

Because of the sharp beam cutoff the Xenons, when you hit bumps (even little ones) it looks to the people in front of you like you're flashing your high beams. Unlike normal lights they are either full intensity or [basically] zero intensity, just as if you had flashed your high beams. So when you hit a bump, your lights (for the other driver) go from low intensity to full intensity instantly, just like high beams.