S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Xpost from 2.7t forum -- cam noise dealer can't replicate

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2006, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Xpost from 2.7t forum -- cam noise dealer can't replicate

I have an 03 allroad that had 49970 when I dropped it off at the dealer about a month ago. The problem is that a cam tensioner that they had just replaced threw a code and makes noise intermittently. Through normal driving in the four days that I had the car since they replaced the tensioner I had a situation at start up where the car would idle very rough accompanied by loud rattling/tapping from the engine. This happened twice, one time being the same day I picked the car up. Once you goose the throttle the engine will snap into a smooth idle and sound perfect. Before the second time that this happened at start up, the car began to surge under heavy acceleration and threw a code indicating an error with the cam timing on the bank that they serviced. I have a video tape of the symptoms but the dealer still acts as if the car is perfect even though it threw a code. They said that I can pick the car up but since I am out of warranty as soon as I drive it off the lot I won't. They say that it is documented and if something happens at a later time it would be covered but when I asked if the valves get trashed because the chain skips a tooth they said that they couldn't promise that THAT would be covered. I am basically sick of waiting and think the tape and code should be enough for them to take another look at the tensioner components and replace anything out of spec rather than trash the motor when something fails all the way. Do I need to get AoA involved, if so does anyone know how I would go about it?

Thanks,
Ryan