S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Yet another happy JHM Solid Shifter customer. Toyguy vs. JHM, clear winner...

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default It's very easy. There's just enough play in neutral where it will stay in place of where you need to

tighten it - 3 right, 7 back. I used a cheap $5 magnetic protractor that worked great. The JHM makes it feel like there's a new tranny in the car. It's different and very good.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Wait until your pivot ball starts wearing and then you'll see. Like I said, this replaces

the problem area and makes everything feel so together.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:50 PM

gotcha my ball has 86k on it now lol my ball has some milelage
Old 03-11-2007, 05:51 PM

but the reason your shifter was sloppy was due to wear not the tg shifter itself
Old 03-11-2007, 08:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default you are probably just used to it like i was...

i was used to my neuspeed and didnt really think anything of it until i drove his 04 cobra and i was like wtf, why is this shifter so much more solid then ours, i mean it really made mine feel like one of those video game cars you drive in the arcade. ive had stock, b&m and neuspeed in my car and tried many others including toy guy in other vehicles and nothing compared to this one.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:46 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Thanks-- I understand that nothing is permanent, especially with plastic...

just curious. I am running a brand new, variable height, zip-tied TG. I also have a JHM in the mail, and I'll have to install it ASAP-- just part of the disease. Just trying to make sure we're comparing apples to apples.

My current setup is the best it's ever been by far... I can't wait to try the JHM.

Bang for the buck this new TG is outstanding.
Old 03-12-2007, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default These posts are great. If I weren't

happy with the way my car functions with a modified stock shifter I might be inclined to try it just to see for myself to see what a "best ever, most dramatic, wins by a landslide" shifter is like.

It must be awesome since past comments from others indicated that the UUC SS was much better than stock, and the Tanoga SS was better than the UUC, and Toyguy was better than Tanoga, and now this JHM SS is better than the Toyguy SS.

Impressive how such a simple stick with a hinge at one end continues to be improved so dramatically.
Old 03-12-2007, 07:20 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Default Every shifter I've had (save the stock one!) have worn until they bacame sloppy.

Of course I didn't notice how bad the UUC got until I replaced it with an original TG, then didn't realize how much it had worn until I replaced it with a new TG. Now that I'm running a new TG, I'll be installing a JHM next week and (think I'll) have a valid comparison.

I highly recommend the "zip-tie" mod for anyone using the stock (or TG) shifter. It makes for dramatically reduced play in the shifter.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:02 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default stock design and all others use crappy plastic...

i dont know about you but i prefer a more solid "steel" feel that i know(proven at the track) wont break or wear down to feel like ***. if you are a true enthusiast you will appreciate this shifter.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Default audishifter.com

<ul><li><a href="http://audishifter.com">http://audishifter.com</a</li></ul>

Quick Reply: Yet another happy JHM Solid Shifter customer. Toyguy vs. JHM, clear winner...