S4 / RS4 (B5 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B5 Audi S4 & RS4 produced from 1998-2002

Young Drivers w/S4's our other

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-1999, 04:56 AM
JasonZ

Default U R so right, Bill!

My dad got me a M series 'cause I did really well in school. I was 19 and man, what a bad a@@ ride! Flew around a corner too hot and rolled it in a ditch. Bill, you are right, need more track time to get used to those turns! I need to learn how to drive the edge better, but now's the time to do it before I get old and conservative.

I think I convinced dad to spring for a S4. My grades are really good this year and I need a car. He likes the S4 too, so he wants me to have a car he can drive. (Yeah, like he'll get a chance...)
Old 10-19-1999, 06:36 AM
Jeff OB

Default It was me, thanks...

...I was a bit spoiled when I was his age too I have to admit so I know where of I speak. My parents bought me used '69 Alpha GTV 1750 for about $2500. I loved the car, which only had a modest 4 banger it. But, I was immature about it and drove the thing too fast in general (there was a lot of peer pressure to race around). I was also in school and not able to pay for the repairs. My parents eventually sold the car because it always needed something done to it.

I love European cars, always have and always will. I understand why you need to get a kid his own car (so he doesn't rack up yours!). But, these are not fun sports cars to spoil kids like when I was young, this is a VERY serious autobahn burning, very powerful, machine which does not belong in the hands of kid here in the US. Maybe over in Germany where they are grooming the next F1 champ and understand fast driving, but not here...it is simply too dangerous.
Old 10-19-1999, 06:41 AM
Jeff OB

My, how PC. If you don't like what someone says, cry "descrimination", really.
Old 10-19-1999, 06:44 AM
Jeff OB

JG, what are they, Sheiks or what?
Old 10-19-1999, 07:06 AM
Mike Y.

Maybe you'd understand if you could spell "discriminate!"
Old 10-19-1999, 08:14 AM
Tommy T

Default I am about to turn 33. Am I old enough to drive this car?

I've never been in an accident (except for the time that the police car plowed into me, but that was HIS fault -- you should have seen the Sergeant's face!), but I'm not a *serious* Autobahn driver. I've never autocrossed, and I sometimes can't hold my line on freeway ramps in my A4. I'm afraid to go over 75 in a 65 even with my Bel because I drive for work and can't afford to lose my license.

Once, I accidentally put Regular gasoline in my A4. I don't wax the car regularly and I've even driven it in the winter. I've been known to eat in my car while driving. Once, I drove home from a brew pub after having a beer.

I'm married, but only in the court's opinion, and 33, but young at heart. So, am I really an irresponsible, unmarried, sub-25 year old with no automotive skills whatsoever masquerading in the body of a 33 year old married professional about to buy an exclusive, powerful performance car? Who can accurately quote an insurance rate for my demographic, much less say whether I'm qualified to drive this car.

If you say "you must be this tall to ride this ride" who gets to set where the ruler stops? 18? 19? 33?

These polemics remind me of the old Monty Python routines about "when I was young, we had it tough. We walked to school uphill both ways and had to lick the road clean every night. etc."

When I was young, we lived in a trailer park. But I put myself through school, worked hard and can now afford an S4. Do I need an S4? Absolutely not. Do I deserve an S4? Who can say? I'm just another enthusiast like everyone else on this board regardless of age.

I'm much less concerned about whether someone can afford something I can't (and when), and far more concerned about whether these are people of quality who care about the condition of their neighbors, are socially responsible, and charitable of spirit. People who always complain about the (favorable) circumstances of others rarely strike me as this type.

Tommy T
98 A4 30V QM
00 S4 (maybe never?)
Old 10-19-1999, 08:57 AM
7an

GREAT post!
Old 10-19-1999, 09:03 AM
7an

Your parents bought you a car? Wow, they must have been real jerk-o**s!
Old 10-19-1999, 09:04 AM
7an

If he'd gone to school and learned how to spell, he wouldn't have to be jealous of people now.
Old 10-19-1999, 09:50 AM
(30 year old) Hag

Default I agree. Let's end this "discussion"...

Great cars, like great cities/places to live, (not to mention great websites!) will always attract all kinds of people.
We live together and enjoy the thing we all have in common.

Let's steer back toward discussion of the CAR, not the driver.

That said, I have yet to drive an S4 so I have nothing to offer there. But I did drive an A6 2.7T last weekend. Beautiful Car. Turned Heads. Wonderful engine!! Suspension wasn't quite my taste. Was excellent at higher speeds, but going slow over small bumps, it was a bit "wiggly" like something you'd expect from a Cadillac (or a Ricky Martin dancer!) It was definitely the nicest car I've ever driven. (except for that '99 996 the salesguy let me drive! I know, I can't believe he let me drive it either!)

Have a nice day.

I'll go back to "lurking" on this board now.

-Hag

Quick Reply: Young Drivers w/S4's our other