S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

2013 S6 TSB 19J1 - after effects? My car is quieter now...

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2013, 06:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chrome4174
Have to agree with Hyper, had my AWE installed a few weeks ago at AWE and the sound my car now produces now is amazing.
I'm thinking about the AWE exhaust too. I really want to hear one in person before I pull the trigger. My concern is that there will be times where I don't want to hear the exhaust (long trips on highway) and it will be prominent. Can you comment to my concerns at all?
Old 08-17-2013, 06:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by ///M Traitor
I'm thinking about the AWE exhaust too. I really want to hear one in person before I pull the trigger. My concern is that there will be times where I don't want to hear the exhaust (long trips on highway) and it will be prominent. Can you comment to my concerns at all?
I dont want to get off topic from the thread but there is absolutely no drone or tone to the exhaust when crusing around. Actually, I think it might be quieter than the stock exhaust. Its only when you put the foot down to the floor does the exhaust wake up and scream. Very jekyll and hyde.
Old 08-17-2013, 11:55 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ///M Traitor
Here is my opinion. When I want to go stealth and when my kids are in the car I leave it in D. When I want to unleash the beast I put it in S.

In D mode, its tame and elegant but still has the exhaust note of that says I am an S6.

In S mode, it roars from the get go and lets everyone know big dawg is coming through. The exhaust note makes you look around and giggle like a kid cause it sounds that good.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ok, I'm sold on the AWE exhaust now

Back to the topic, I drove my car more today and its certainly quieter. My car would rumble before the software update, even at part throttle. The floor would shake, likely from the vibration unit under the drivers seat (forgot the technical name). its a big big change indeed. Now it just sounds super quiet all around. I'm a little bit pissed about it actually because I did not have any of the transmission problems that the update "fixed."

The shift points are also at higher RPMs in D I've noticed, but the throttle is less sensitive. Takes more push on the throttle to giddy-up. That may be an adaptation thing though....
Old 08-18-2013, 10:18 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by S6Express
I wish I could hear my exhaust more - it's too quiet. My Audi S6 is cancelling the exhaust sound while the BMW F10 M5 plays it through the speakers...
" Switchable exhaust flaps" Tell me more. Who does that, who makes the product,What is the effect?--I just want some more noise--when I want more noise.
Old 08-18-2013, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
AWE exhaust FTW! That being said, if the exhaust being played through the speakers is enticing, then you like video games too much. I like raw natural sounds.
+1, love my AWE exhaust
Old 08-18-2013, 04:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not saying that I agree with piping in exhaust note through the speakers, but its just a difference in philosophy between M division and Audi's S series. I love my S6's quiet stealthiness, but I wish it was louder at times. I wish some aftermarket exhaust would utilize the exhaust valves. With that said I need to hear the awe exhaust in person.
Old 08-18-2013, 05:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by S6Express
I love my S6's quiet stealthiness, but I wish it was louder at times. I wish some aftermarket exhaust would utilize the exhaust valves. With that said I need to hear the awe exhaust in person.
Sounds like you and I are in the same boat. I like the sound of the stock exhaust and simply want it a little louder. I don't want it to wail at WOT and I don't want it to sound like your typical muscle car V8. It's not that I don't appreciate that sound, I just don't want it for my S6. I, too, need to hear the AWE exhaust in person before I purchase one.
Old 08-18-2013, 06:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Ureka, I think I may have found something in the "self study guide" regarding ANC as follows:

(From page 73)
Service:
When changes are made to the engine control module software (flashing) the ANC software must also be adapted.

It also illudes that adaptation takes 10 to 20 hours in the "deactivation" section (presumably 10-20 hours of driving that is).

I would bet my left nut that during this adaptation phase the sound actuator system is disabled. I think this is the most logical explanation for the sudden change in sound of my vehicle after the software update. I don't drive much, but I will let you guys know if it starts working again :-)

Last edited by ///M Traitor; 08-18-2013 at 07:54 PM.
Old 08-21-2013, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Well gents, my car is "loud" again. Like a switch was thrown, I have engine noise again. Who knows....

Quick Reply: 2013 S6 TSB 19J1 - after effects? My car is quieter now...