S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

April Delivery - Glacier White S6!

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2013, 05:23 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you hl229 and edporsche for your opinion. I will be adding a sub(s) in a custom sealed box to my B&O (looking for SQ not SPL). I was looking for advice on subs/amps. Has anyone seen the Bentley 21" black machined 6-twin spoke alloy wheels?? SO NICE and I think they have the same 5x112 lug pattern as Audis (need to double check that). Very Tempting for a summer setup!
Old 02-24-2013, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

I would suggest JL Audio for your subwoofer and amp.

Since you want a sealed enclosure, go with a 12W6v2 woofer and run it with an HD750/1 amp. Sealed enclosures are excellent for sound quality, but they require more power than ported or bandpass. The HD series amps from JL Audio are very well suited for their subwoofers. They run in Class D, are small in size and very efficient. They also do not produce a lot of heat, which is another benefit.

I will also suggest you get a bass control **** installed up front so you can tweak the bass level separately from the main system. JL Audio offers these, as well. It's a pretty helpful feature because you never know how the bass response varies from one recording to the next.

If you were going to do more than just a subwoofer, then I suggest looking at Audison/Hertz. That's what I'm running in my car right now and it's outstanding equipment. I replaced my entire car stereo with an Audison BitOne processor, Audison amps, Hertz speakers, and JL Audio 12W6 sealed subwoofer for about the same money as the B&O upgrade costs. I would never pay $6000 for a factory upgraded stereo. I can do far better with that money doing aftermarket gear. But, that's just my preference. Everyone is different.
Old 02-24-2013, 02:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
I would suggest JL Audio for your subwoofer and amp.

Since you want a sealed enclosure, go with a 12W6v2 woofer and run it with an HD750/1 amp. Sealed enclosures are excellent for sound quality, but they require more power than ported or bandpass. The HD series amps from JL Audio are very well suited for their subwoofers. They run in Class D, are small in size and very efficient. They also do not produce a lot of heat, which is another benefit.

I will also suggest you get a bass control **** installed up front so you can tweak the bass level separately from the main system. JL Audio offers these, as well. It's a pretty helpful feature because you never know how the bass response varies from one recording to the next.

If you were going to do more than just a subwoofer, then I suggest looking at Audison/Hertz. That's what I'm running in my car right now and it's outstanding equipment. I replaced my entire car stereo with an Audison BitOne processor, Audison amps, Hertz speakers, and JL Audio 12W6 sealed subwoofer for about the same money as the B&O upgrade costs. I would never pay $6000 for a factory upgraded stereo. I can do far better with that money doing aftermarket gear. But, that's just my preference. Everyone is different.

subterFUSE,

Thanks for the advice. Is just one JL Audio 12W6 going to be sufficient or would two be better? I don't mind overkill as long as I can turn the bass **** down low when needed and it will still sound good. Do you recommend a custom built box (quotes I've received are super expensive like $1,000 for a box) or a JL Audio ProWedge (CVS112RG-W6v2)? I was definitely planning on a bass ****. Also, one of the perks of being an ABS is I didn't pay $6,000 for the stereo...It was closer to $4,800. My buddy who did car audio for 20+ years sat in a car that his shop built for $15,000 (with macintosh amps and hertz speakers) and an Audi S7 with the Advanced B&O and said that everyone in the shop agreed the B&O was AS good if not better. I got quotes to remove the Bose and add all new speakers in the range of $7,000-$10,000 with parts and labor....And I didn't feel comfortable with that price or taking a brand new car into pieces to upgrade its stereo. Thanks again for your help!

Jack
Old 02-24-2013, 03:26 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Has anyone unlocked the "efficiency mode" through VAG-com for better gas mileage? I know people are doign it with success in the C7 A6. Thanks.