S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Audi making me buy BMW...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 12:52 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi making me buy BMW...

Ok, not really, but it's not too far from the truth. First time poster here and I'm trying to decide between an S6 and M5. I really like the S6, and the fact that it's an equal to the M5 in many categories, but at a price tag of almost $20k cheaper makes it a great car for the money. The problem I'm finding is none of the dealers in my area will budge on MSRP, in fact they are getting $3-4k above msrp. On the other hand I'm able to get an M5 at $8-10k below msrp, so the gap between the two is much closer than it should be. The first year hit on depreciation is just too great with the S6 now. Does anybody have any advice on getting a better deal on the S6? Once the 2014 model comes out will the 2013 start offering incentives? I see guys on this board saying they got 2% below msrp, but I'm not finding that around here. Should I wait, or just buy and evaluate the choice on the two cars without price being an advantage for Audi anymore? Cheers!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:12 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Someone will be able to help you if you tell us where you live.
Old 04-08-2013, 01:19 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by cagambler
Someone will be able to help you if you tell us where you live.
I'm in Dayton Ohio but willing to drive to Cincinnati, Cleveland, Columbus, Indianapolis, or anywhere in between. Would love some advice on this. Thanks!
Old 04-08-2013, 01:42 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I'm in Denver and I have had the same experience. Dealers won't budge from MSRP.

It doesn't help immediately if you're not already a member, but if you're a member of the Audi Club of North America for 6 months you get a 6% discount on a 2013 (assuming the dealer will play ball)...
Old 04-08-2013, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
The problem I'm finding is none of the dealers in my area will budge on MSRP, in fact they are getting $3-4k above msrp.
I've been hanging aroung this board for a while now and this is first that I've hear about dealers asking for a premium above MSRP. Perhaps you might need to shop further afield.
Old 04-08-2013, 02:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Your frustration is misplaced: Audi of America sets the MSRP. They DON'T control how much dealers are actually selling the cars for, anymore than BMW controls what dealers are selling the M5 for. If you're not happy with the pricing you're getting, try a different dealer.

These days, if price is your concern, there's absolutely NO reason not to use the magic power of the internet to get the deal you're looking for. There are dozens of Audi dealers within a $150 flight/5-6 hour drive from me. If I was having trouble getting the price I want, I'd expand my search zone. Come up with a standard email with exactly what you're looking for, and send it to every dealer within an XXX radius. Maybe wait until the last week of the month.

For the record, I got 6% off MSRP for being a member of the Audi Club, and another $1500 off for owner loyalty.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

In addition to these suggestions, look at pre-owned with Audi's CPO warranty. I have been doing this for years, and get awesome cars (if patient) and a better warranty than new - and no hit on depreciation.
Just another option.......
Old 04-08-2013, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Yeah, you're right that there are some things I could do to get a better deal, but my point was the Audi dealers didn't seem to be willing to budge on price around here compared to their main competition (BMW around here). Sure I'd be willing to drive 5-6 hours for the right deal, but that's assuming I absolutely want the S6. While I'm still on the fence, having the M5 priced close to the same as the S6 might make the decision for me. Of course my main search effort thus far has been going through the car buying service at my military bank. They have a network of many Audi dealers and so far none have been willing to come within $4k of msrp. BTW, the car buying service is free to me, it's just one of the benefits USAA offers.

Originally Posted by nobbyv
Your frustration is misplaced: Audi of America sets the MSRP. They DON'T control how much dealers are actually selling the cars for, anymore than BMW controls what dealers are selling the M5 for. If you're not happy with the pricing you're getting, try a different dealer.

These days, if price is your concern, there's absolutely NO reason not to use the magic power of the internet to get the deal you're looking for. There are dozens of Audi dealers within a $150 flight/5-6 hour drive from me. If I was having trouble getting the price I want, I'd expand my search zone. Come up with a standard email with exactly what you're looking for, and send it to every dealer within an XXX radius. Maybe wait until the last week of the month.

For the record, I got 6% off MSRP for being a member of the Audi Club, and another $1500 off for owner loyalty.
Old 04-08-2013, 03:17 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

No way should you have to pay MSRP. Bid the larger dealers across the US against your local guys, if they won't match it, go w/ the out of state dealer and fly out and drive it back or have it shipped. To get less than 3% UNDER MSRP on a new '13 is paying too much IMHO. Others on this site, have done even better, as you have seen I'm sure.
Old 04-08-2013, 04:21 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think its all relative to the deal you make. I paid MSRP but received a huge premium on my trade-in. Between the loyalty cash and the premium they paid for my trade-in, my deal was effectively well below MSRP.

Quick Reply: Audi making me buy BMW...