S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Audi making me buy BMW...

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 04:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nuclearfishin
Ok, not really, but it's not too far from the truth. First time poster here and I'm trying to decide between an S6 and M5. I really like the S6, and the fact that it's an equal to the M5 in many categories, but at a price tag of almost $20k cheaper makes it a great car for the money. The problem I'm finding is none of the dealers in my area will budge on MSRP, in fact they are getting $3-4k above msrp. On the other hand I'm able to get an M5 at $8-10k below msrp, so the gap between the two is much closer than it should be. The first year hit on depreciation is just too great with the S6 now. Does anybody have any advice on getting a better deal on the S6? Once the 2014 model comes out will the 2013 start offering incentives? I see guys on this board saying they got 2% below msrp, but I'm not finding that around here. Should I wait, or just buy and evaluate the choice on the two cars without price being an advantage for Audi anymore? Cheers!
I don't think the S6 and M5 is really a fair comparison. They are totally different beasts and one may not fit the bill for the other. I think the more truer comparison would be between the S6 and the 550i w/ Xdrive.

The M5 is a beast of a car, but you are going to be paying up the nose for gas and all the times you will most likely be taking in the car for service due to the finicky engine and other components that make up that high performance car. Not to mention you are going to be hit with a gas guzzler tax if you are buying new from the dealer.

Either way both are great cars, one is more of a GT car (S6) the other is a track car in four door sedan layout.

As for price...Shop around...I would recommend 3% off MSRP being the least acceptable discount you should be seeking. As others have noted, if you can wait a few months sign up for the Audi CCNA membership. I actually got the first mag today, and dare I say it might be a bit better than my beloved Roundel magazine!
Old 04-08-2013, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Audi as a brand is on the way up, as discussed in a Wall Street Journal article a few weeks back. They are gaining share by making cars that people want. I feel BMW, on the other hand, is relying too much on it's legacy, particularly for the M cars. These days all they think about is what other cars they can slap the M badge on.

I too considered the M5 before deciding on the S6. It wasn't a hard decision after I heard that the new M5 had engine problems necessitating a recall just one month after the cars started arriving in the US. One of my previous cars was a previous-gen M3 that went through two separate engine recalls and a valve gasket leak. I knew it was time for me to try something else. Apparently a lot of others felt the same way too.
Old 04-09-2013, 05:24 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Ive never heard of any Audi dealership adding money to any car's MSRP. Even the RS5 and TTRS we dont inflate the price.

If you're willing to travel to NJ, which a lot of my customers are, I will work with you on an S6. PM me.
Old 04-09-2013, 08:08 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What Hyper said: I believe Audi takes a very dim view of 'market value adjustments' and other such nonsense. Even on the original R8s, my dealer was very clear that they were selling no higher than MSRP. I state it that way since on all 4 of my Audis, plus her A4 Allroad, they have negotiated price, and I have never been disappointed in the outcomes. Good dealers care about building relationships, and as much about your second/third/fourth purchase as the initial vehicle.