S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Best Winter Tires

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2013, 02:54 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Just received my Dunlop Winter Sport 3D 255/35/20. I will mount these on the stock rotor wheels that come with the black optic package. I just got a delivery date of 12/30 for my car so I will have the dealer switch out the tires before I take delivery.

Now...the difference between theory and reality.....

While narrower tires are better in snow, with quattro, there is no reason to sacrifice dry road performance by going to a narrower tire.

First of all, even in winter, roads are cleared most of the time.

Secondly, with the capabilities of the quattro system, the number of days in which you will actually be driving in snow that is so deep that a narrower tire is required to get you through will likely be zero. If the snow is that deep, you need a vehicle with a lot more ground clearance than the S6.

I live in western Massachusetts, ran 255 winter tires on my old RS4 in quite a bit of snow, and the car performed flawlessly. And when the roads were, in fact, clear, which was most of the time, I still maintained the better performance of the wider tire.

Last edited by Vijay; 10-27-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 10-29-2013, 05:56 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just ordered a set of Nokian WR G3 from tiresbyweb.com. I'm putting them on the rims I got from OEMwheelsplus.

Pic of the new rim attached. The set of 4 was $709. Not bad.

I decided on the Nokian WRG3 because they are one of the only all-season tires that has the mountain-snowflake symbol for winter performance. Living in the Hudson Valley, about 80% of my winter driving is on dry, wet, or minimally slushy roads, and only about 20% on ice, or fresh or packed snow. The Sotto Zeros on my 911 sacrifice a lot of dry road handling for snow performance. I think the WRG3 should be a good compromise.

Very impressed with Tires By Web. I had a quote from another online store that was over $100 less, and they matched it! The set of 4 255/40/R19 was $1266.

Compared to Audi's $3K winter package, I think I got better tires and better rims, and saved over a grand.
Attached Images  
Old 10-29-2013, 07:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by dD/dt
I just ordered a set of Nokian WR G3 from tiresbyweb.com. I'm putting them on the rims I got from OEMwheelsplus.

I decided on the Nokian WRG3 because they are one of the only all-season tires that has the mountain-snowflake symbol for winter performance. Living in the Hudson Valley, about 80% of my winter driving is on dry, wet, or minimally slushy roads, and only about 20% on ice, or fresh or packed snow. The Sotto Zeros on my 911 sacrifice a lot of dry road handling for snow performance. I think the WRG3 should be a good compromise.

Very impressed with Tires By Web. I had a quote from another online store that was over $100 less, and they matched it! The set of 4 255/40/R19 was $1266.

Compared to Audi's $3K winter package, I think I got better tires and better rims, and saved over a grand.
I just got these in black. Make sure when you get them balanced to not get the wheel weights placed on the flat area just behind the spokes. The wheels are so tight fitting to begin with there is a good chance of hitting the calipers with the weights put in that area.
Old 10-30-2013, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Good call.

Where did you put the weights? All the way inside?
Old 10-30-2013, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Member

Nice setup...I actually have the same exact ones...I decided to purchase the rims from Hartmann/ACHTuning as I have heard of stories that some of the cheaper wheels can be easily damaged when driving over potholes and such. So decided to pay a little more for piece of mind...

http://shop.achtuning.com/Hartmann-H...eels-Audi.aspx

Also called up TiresByWeb, but it seems like since everyone on here is buying from them they think these Nokian tires are super hot right now...LOL...He offered free shipping but only gave me a $5 discount. I decided to go with a guy on eBay that is an authorized reseller of Nokian R2s (255/40/R19)and he was selling them for $1204 delivered...

Can't wait to try these on the first powder day here in the Northeast!

http://www.ebay.com/usr/auto-addicts

Old 10-30-2013, 07:26 AM
AudiWorld Member

Good call.

Where did you put the weights? All the way inside?
They actually did 2 of them in the exact spot they shouldn't have but i didn't talk to them beforehand. The other 2 are on the far inside of the wheel which is fine. Luckily even though the tires are directional they have 1 for each side of the car with the weights in the correct spot. I usually rotate them the next year i put them on so I should be good for this winter but will get the other 2 rebalanced before next winter.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Slightly O. T., but I received/installed my WeatherTech winter mats yesterday, and they are awesome in every respect. Thanks to whomever on this forum initially posted about them.

BTW, the logo strips are readily removable...I found them slightly distracting, but I will certainly sing the praises of these well designed and executed additions. Just in time for steelhead and snow seasons!

The Audi winter mats, compared to those I ran in my last S4/then RS4 are, to quote the Top Gear crowd, "rubbish". I assume they changed their sourcing.
Old 10-31-2013, 07:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrCondor
Slightly O. T., but I received/installed my WeatherTech winter mats yesterday, and they are awesome in every respect. Thanks to whomever on this forum initially posted about them.

BTW, the logo strips are readily removable...I found them slightly distracting, but I will certainly sing the praises of these well designed and executed additions. Just in time for steelhead and snow seasons!

The Audi winter mats, compared to those I ran in my last S4/then RS4 are, to quote the Top Gear crowd, "rubbish". I assume they changed their sourcing.
I love my weathertechs too. There is a Weathertech store near Chicago which is awesome. Unfortunately same price as online but still cool to go into. I got the trunk liner too which is nice. I wish they made some sort of seat protector too. My kids and their friends always seem to like putting their feet on th backs of the seats which drive me crazy. I guess i'll just have to put those cheap velcro ones on there.