S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Is BMW F10 M5 worth the extra $20,000 over the S6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2012, 09:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is BMW F10 M5 worth the extra $20,000 over the S6?

Just wondering for the owners of the C7 S6/S7 who probably could have purchased the M5, now that you have some S6/S7 mileage under your throttle, do you really think the extra $20,000 would buy you significantly more car?

Or does the $20K buy you more feeling of self-worth that one has "the ultimate driving machine", considering most M5 drivers (or S6 owners for that matter) do not drive their cars to the limits (e.g. regularly taking it to a nearby track, etc). At the end of the day, won't both cars get you to where you're going about the same times? Is there a special ingredient in the M5 that is noticeable as a daily driver that is missing over the S6?

I am not just talking about raw horsepower or handling at the tracks which I would give the edge to the M5. But driving the either car for most of the time like driving to work or a short distance trip out of town - does the extra $20K makes it worth it? I think Audi has the best in class interior and just as good if not better in the technology department (e.g. MMI over iDrive). Not sure whether the 550i should come up as part of the validation process.

I guess the same question can also be posed to owners of the C7 A6/A7 over why not buy a BMW 535i instead. I am sure we did a side by side test drive comparison before deciding.

Again, just wondering being a past M5 owner and now a fan of the (incoming) S6.

Last edited by s5blitzer; 11-30-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:07 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Obviously it's an individual choice, but for me it made more sense to have an AWD sports sedan than the M5. If the rumors are true and the next gen M and AMG cars have AWD options, that may change. As far as performance, the S6 is enough for me 95% of the time, the other 5% wasn't worth 20k.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 139 Likes on 102 Posts

Im over BMW products. If I could have an M5 it would be the e39, after that they started getting bloated and overpriced. Im not just biased because I sell Audi's, I used to be a bimmerphile.

I cant imagine spending 20k more on a car that does the same if not less than my S6. Plus I can drive my car year round without getting stuck.

If I was spending another 20k on a car Id almost be in an S8 which is the best 100k car on the market for the money.
Old 11-29-2012, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think BMW lost me when they made this car so darn FAT...Seriously 20K more for promise of an M car that does not deliver...I drove the M3 and boy did i love it..Granted M3 and M5 are diff class but thats no excuse for making it fat..

Moreover there is so much wheel spin at launch

whats up with the launch control..Seems i need to do a PhD to be able to use it..Seriously y cant u take a leaf out of Porsche's book...

20K more for all this....Sorry !!!

S6 here i come!!
Old 11-29-2012, 02:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by HyperS4
Im over BMW products. If I could have an M5 it would be the e39, after that they started getting bloated and overpriced. Im not just biased because I sell Audi's, I used to be a bimmerphile.

I cant imagine spending 20k more on a car that does the same if not less than my S6. Plus I can drive my car year round without getting stuck.

If I was spending another 20k on a car Id almost be in an S8 which is the best 100k car on the market for the money.
Our thoughts are in exact sync with respect to the E39 M5 (owned one), the bloated pricing; and I seriously thought about getting the S8 for the same price range. S8 is technological sooooooo advanced especially the underrated published horsepower and the aluminium space frame. Backed off because I just had no need for the extra space and the S6 looks sportier. Plus, I now have $20K to do something else.
Old 11-29-2012, 03:55 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 153 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by HyperS4

Exactly how I feel.

The only car I want now is Audi. If I cant have an Audi then I really dont care what kind of car I have. BMWs do nothing for me. My buddy is buying the newly introduced BMW 650 Gran. It's nice but does nothing for me. If I had 90K it would be an A8. If I didnt have that money it would be some 60K car but not a BMW

It's like Ferraris and Bentleys. I have freinds that own them and think they are nice but they dont stir my blood. I may have mental issues
Old 11-29-2012, 04:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by Omeletpants
Exactly how I feel.

It's like Ferraris and Bentleys. I have freinds that own them and think they are nice but they dont stir my blood. I may have mental issues
I will take a Ferrari over a Bentley or a Maserati. But yes, I know exactly what you mean. To support your sound decision:

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com...ry-Large-Cars/

http://autos.aol.com/gallery/top-10-luxury-cars/
(3 Audis in the top 10)

So the BMW flamers who said that infamous Car and Driver report that put the S6 in 1st place and they said Car ad Driver was paid off, there are too many reviews that said the same thing about the A6/S6. Now, they all can't be bought by Audi??? lol
Old 11-29-2012, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

A little off topic, but did you test drive the caddy CTS-V? I felt the M5 is a sedan trying to be a sports car. However the CTS-V felt like a sports car, more compact, smaller... Also there is still something about the manual i am still in love with.. Here the S6 and M5 are the same price. The CTS-V is about 30k more. I am thinking about pawning off my C7 to the wife and getting something else for myself. I'm waiting to test drive the M5 550d the price is a little more than I want to part with, but the torque is suppose to amazing. Any way, it's all how you feel in the car that matters at the end of the day. But overall the audi looks nicer!
Old 11-30-2012, 06:16 AM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

I test drove the M5, and it just seems 20k overpriced. Nice engine, but lacks the finishing touches that Audi doesn't gloss over. It just doesn't look or feel special. It seems like a hoped up 550i, with a very huge pricetag. Bodypanel gaps, paint orange peel, unfinished areas in places that are hidden...it just lacked the special factor. The Audi is like art in comparison.
BMW either needs to go panamera handling performance, or spruce up the M5 to a new level of fit and finish/luxury. Right now its in that no mans land of mediocrity. Not luxurious enough to compete with the latest Audi S series cars, and not performance enough to compete with the ones sacrificing comfort for sport edge.

The S8 truely is what the M5 is chasing...the perfect blend of luxury and sport for real world driving. The S6 is just a huge bang for the buck version of the 8, kicking the snot out of the M5 in overall value. The RS6 will be a death certificate for M5 for equal dollars.
Old 11-30-2012, 07:05 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by L0U
I test drove the M5, and it just seems 20k overpriced. Nice engine, but lacks the finishing touches that Audi doesn't gloss over. It just doesn't look or feel special. It seems like a hoped up 550i, with a very huge pricetag. Bodypanel gaps, paint orange peel, unfinished areas in places that are hidden...it just lacked the special factor. The Audi is like art in comparison.
BMW either needs to go panamera handling performance, or spruce up the M5 to a new level of fit and finish/luxury. Right now its in that no mans land of mediocrity. Not luxurious enough to compete with the latest Audi S series cars, and not performance enough to compete with the ones sacrificing comfort for sport edge.

The S8 truely is what the M5 is chasing...the perfect blend of luxury and sport for real world driving. The S6 is just a huge bang for the buck version of the 8, kicking the snot out of the M5 in overall value. The RS6 will be a death certificate for M5 for equal dollars.
Agreed, I found the 550 I tested to be a pig in comparison in terms of handling/ride/performance, I think that whole platform is cursed. The BMW salesman didn't even disagree, he acted like everyone said the same thing when coming from the Audi dealership. A shame, given how good the 3 series is and the success of prior versions of the 5-series.

Quick Reply: Is BMW F10 M5 worth the extra $20,000 over the S6?