S6 (C7 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the C7 Audi S6 produced from 2012 - 2017

Is BMW F10 M5 worth the extra $20,000 over the S6?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 06:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
With the only exception being I cannot fit my golf clubs in the trunk of the S8 without removing my driver and 3 wood.

WTF Audi?
I thought the same thing with my Mercedes, I lost the ability to put my bag in sideways. I met several Mercedes engineers during a business trip to Europe and was told that most folks that golf and own a luxury car store their clubs at a private golf club. Seriously that is their thinking. I said perhaps 10-15 years ago, but now people that might have a country club membership tend to take their clubs and go play at other courses. I can only get two sets in my E350 trunk and its still a pain to get them in. My brother in law owns an Acura TSX and we can get three in no problem and my brother owns a Chevy and he can four 4 bags in including fold up pull carts. Note to engineers figure out a way to get a golf bag in with a driver and three wood in without having to angle the bag 45 degrees for Christ's sake!!
Old 12-01-2012, 03:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Wolfepack88
I thought the same thing with my Mercedes, I lost the ability to put my bag in sideways. I met several Mercedes engineers during a business trip to Europe and was told that most folks that golf and own a luxury car store their clubs at a private golf club. Seriously that is their thinking. I said perhaps 10-15 years ago, but now people that might have a country club membership tend to take their clubs and go play at other courses. I can only get two sets in my E350 trunk and its still a pain to get them in. My brother in law owns an Acura TSX and we can get three in no problem and my brother owns a Chevy and he can four 4 bags in including fold up pull carts. Note to engineers figure out a way to get a golf bag in with a driver and three wood in without having to angle the bag 45 degrees for Christ's sake!!
Only way I can get my golf bag in my BMW 545i trunk is on the 45 angle, or to put down the folding seats if I need to get my wife's clubs in too.

We have a club membership that offers storage, but I also play different courses every week.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by subterFUSE
With the only exception being I cannot fit my golf clubs in the trunk of the S8 without removing my driver and 3 wood.

WTF Audi?
The same with A6/S6. I was so disappointed.
Old 12-01-2012, 03:55 PM
L0U
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default S8 was designed to be too small to carry clubs

This way no one wil ever think the driver plays golf. Yet the true gofer can make it happen. Doesn't fit a stroller for the same reasons.
Old 12-01-2012, 04:27 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is why I love wagons. Why, oh why, isn't the S6 Avant available here? I actually know why, but it still hurts.
Old 12-01-2012, 06:41 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Inyoury
The same with A6/S6. I was so disappointed.
I would love to know, why??
Old 12-01-2012, 06:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just have to chime in on this general discussion. I drove the M5 and it was too crazy. Too loose. I drove it for 2 hours and averaged 9 mpg. Granted, I was driving it pretty hard, but I think the sticker has it at 11mpg/city. That is just stupid. We all like speed. However, fuel economy is important. My 911 gets 21 mpg with hard driving. I'm told the S6 can get 30+ mpg on the highway. Back to my original point. All that horsepower with rear wheel is not a good recipe. It just isn't. Why spend $20k+, rear wheel drive, and get ~10mpg. That is not a compelling story. It does look good, I must say. However, the m5 looks the same through the years. It's look is getting boring. Seen that, done that kind of thing. Executive Summary on M5: dated looks, bad gas mileage, and rear wheel drive is not worth taming the monster under the hood.

Cheers,
Ed
Old 12-01-2012, 07:12 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by noah123
I assume you are asking me (although you quoted someone else). The sad fact is that not enough North Americans will buy a station wagon over an SUV or Crossover vehicle. The high cost of Federalizing (crash and fuel-economy testing, amongst other things) the Avant makes it a losing proposition for Audi to bother bringing it over.

Personally, Audi should do it anyway, if only as a halo car for the rest of their lineup. Maybe a bunch of people would come in to look at it and buy the A4-based Allroad instead. Me, I'd be the first in line with a deposit for the Avant, but enthusiasts like us (who value practicality with a modicum of sportiness) are few and far between.
Old 12-01-2012, 07:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by edporsche
I just have to chime in on this general discussion.

Cheers,
Ed
Ed, I think you summarized the key points. Being a (still) M fan after owned 3 M3s and 1 M5 in the past, I think the M brand carries its strong followers. I, myself, make my selections based on some of the points you made. Over the last 8 years, Audi has improved significantly and now has one of the best interiors and exterior styling.

Audi is also leading in conquest sales (converting luxury Cadillac, BMW, MB, Lexus, etc. brand owners to Audi).

I can afford the extra $20K but why spend it on the extra horsepower one will hardly use, interior that is still boring, and ok exterior. I love Audi's headlight and tail lights design too. Since owning my S5 in late 2007, I have seen Audi evolving to its current headlight designs. Other car brands just copy.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by s5blitzer; 12-06-2012 at 05:57 AM.
Old 12-02-2012, 09:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by noah123
I was addressing the trunk size of the A6/S6. I can't fit more than 2 golf bags with clubs without turning them at 45 degree angle. I can maybe fit 3 soft bags if I remove the drivers and fairway woods I have a soft bag I use and a hard one from Lexus as a gift. Almost no one here in Korea uses soft bags. When the Audi dealer told me I could fit 4 hard bags, I laughed and told him that he must not be a golfer. Since I usually take 3 people to play golf, I can no longer do so with my A6. In my previous car, I could. So I was dissappointed with the trunk configuration of the A6/S6.

Quick Reply: Is BMW F10 M5 worth the extra $20,000 over the S6?